• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

More slight sucess update - not quite 100% frea/anxious free but i will never be i don't think

S

swrmxs

More slight sucess update - not quite 100% frea/anxious free but i will never be i don't think

It's been a while since i posted here but i thought i'd post an update.

My first few appointments were around a year ago at at dentist close to the house i moved into several years prior and yes they were nerve wracking due to having semi-bad teeth which resulted in me having a few removed. I kind of knew i had to eventually go so i went with in the hope that any major work would be over and done with and it would mean i wouldn't have worry about it when family mentioned going to the dentist.

Having gone constantly now for a while i have got to the point where i am not in fear of the unknown of what work i will have to get done because i am now really only going in for checkups and occasional fillings which i of course get told about so i know exactly what's going to get done next time i visit the.

I still have some sort anxiousness about going to the dentist and i can't say that i go without any bother whether it be feeling not soo good..etc and i don't think i will ever manage that but now that i have all major works done i am less worried which is great.

Re: More slight sucess update - not quite 100% frea/anxious free but i will never be i don't think

CONGRATULATIONS :jump::jump::jump: on getting yourself dentally healthy. How nice of you to take the time to update and let everyone know that it is possible. I am always nervous too, even though I have always gone, it is just something we cannot always get over.

It does help when we have a trusted dentist that we get to know, it does make it a lot easier. I wish you well in your future dental appointments. :butterfly:

Re: More slight sucess update - not quite 100% frea/anxious free but i will never be i don't think

I think the fact that the major work is over and done with (Few extractions and stuff) helps a bit. Nothing worse than not not knowing what needs done well apart from finding out the dentist needs to remove some teeth over several appointments. At my last appointment i was told i'd have a 3month checkup and if all was well then she would only see for a regular 6month checkup after that which is the best situation i can be in i guess and hopefully it continues.

Would love to be able to have the dentist appointments as just another thing i need to do in my day along with say go shopping, walking the dog, visiting mt sister...etc but i still have the lingering nervousness in the hour or 2 before i need to leave which isn't helped by the fact my appointments are in the morning but then again i make them mornings so i don't have to wait all day and it also means by dinner time i feel fine and can actually eat dinner.

Of course it also helps to have a dentist who not only does a good job at whatever is required on my teeth but also does it in a way which i fell a bit more comfortable than with my old dentist at my my previous area of residence.

Back