• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Multiple Extractions - Wisdom Teeth - Bone Grafting...I DID IT!

B

BostonBelle03

I did it! :) I can't believe I actually did it! Yesterday I had 10 teeth out including my wisdom teeth, 2 of which were impacted. I also had some bone grafting for future implant sites. I am currently on the mend, but I wanted to share my success story. My apologies if some of this is rambling or unreadable, I am a little hopped up on meds right now. ;D

Pre-Surgery
Before the surgery, I was really really scared. I didn't have any anti-anxiety meds but I wish I had. I barely slept the night before and when I did, I had all sorts of really weird dreams about the surgery. By the time I got into the chair, I was shaking like a leaf. The surgeon came in and told me that he was concerned about doing using GA because I have a very small airway and he was concerned about complications with my breathing. He asked if we could use IV sedation instead and I agreed. I wasn't happy at this point though because I was really worried about waking up and remembering part of the procedure. He assured me that I wouldn't remember anything. The nurses came in and hooked me up to a bunch of monitors. They put a few sticky heart monitors on my chest and a pulse monitor on my finger. Then the doctor hooked up my IV. I don't really have a problem with needles, so this part didn't bother me. He inserted the sedation medicine and the next thing I knew I was out.

Surgery
Unfortunately, because I have a "massive set of chompers" (my dentist's exact words) with really strong bone and super long roots, the surgery ended up taking twice as long as expected. It ended up taking two hours instead of one. The worst part is that my doctor did not feel comfortable keeping me sedated for so long, and wanted to ensure that I had a uncomplicated recovery, so he woke me up at the halfway point and told me that they still had to finish the second half of my mouth. He asked me if I wanted to keep going without sedation or if I wanted to stop. I decided to keep going, which was a really hard decision, but I really didn't want to have to go through all of this a second time, so I figured I would just get it over with. They did give me laughing gas, and I was still somewhat out of it from the IV, but I definitely was conscious and could hear a lot of things that were going on. Hearing them drill out my impacted wisdom tooth was something I hope I never have to experience ever again. The sedation for the first half of the surgery was heaven though, I highly recommend it to anyone, I don't remember anything between the time he put in the IV and the time he woke me up.

Post Surgery
The first hour after the surgery was definitely the worst. I had a lot of bleeding and was just very disoriented and in quite a bit of pain. I actually had a massive headache in my temples, which I am assuming was from the muscles in my jaw being held open for so long. Once I got some paid meds in my system, I started to feel much better. I slept pretty good last night and the bleeding has pretty much stopped. I am a bit swollen this morning, but nothing too bad. I've actually had much worse swelling with abscessed teeth in the past! I'm currently icing my face every 1/2 hour or so and eating lots of ice cream.

Despite my somewhat difficult surgery, I still consider this very much a success story. I cannot believe that I actually did this, I am so happy that it is over. I know that I still have a lot more steps to full recovery of my mouth, but this was such a major step and I'm so glad to have all those diseased teeth finally gone!! Thank you, all of you, for your support and encouragement.

xo,
Belle

Great job! So proud of you for doing it.

When you were awake, for the second part did you feel any pain? Was the drill painful or just sounded weird? I'm asking because I'm having a broken tooth removed under local with gas if I need it and want to prepare myself

:respect: You are a hero! Well done :yayy: take it easy ,take care .x

Hi Bandit!

I didn't have any pain during the surgery, but there was some pressure when they were yanking out the tooth. The drill wasn't painful at all, I just didn't like sound. If I had some earplugs or music playing I wouldn't have noticed it, so maybe plan for that.

xo,
Belle

Thank so much belle! I can't wait to post in success stories. Stories like yours give us courage !!! You Rock!

Back