• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Multiple tooth extraction! Help!

J

Julz36

Hi all,think that i am looking for some support/reassurance or even people who have been through the same as ive got coming.
I have a phobia about dentists due to one not checking i was properly numbed before starting some dental work many years ago resulting in me not going to see one since.
My teeth are in a terrible state...embarrassed :cry: due to this, plus the fact i drink a lot of fizzy pop &if im totally honest poor dentle hygeine due grinding of my teeth at night causing sensitive teeth,i am so ashamed at the state of my mouth but to get to the point..i woke up 3/4 days ago with horrendous pain & a slight swelling which painkilllers didnt touch at all,a packet of frozen peas on the affected side of my face took the edge off the pain enough for me to drop off for a bit.I finally plucked up the courage 2 make an appointment with an emergency dentist still feeling terrified &my partner had 2 literallly drag me there! as i sat in the dentist`s chair i was visibly shaking& the dentist even had 2 tell me 2 lie down as i was still sitting up as he was lowering the chair,i explained why i hadnt been for so long& how embarrassed i was and 2 be fair the dentist was very nice& didnt seem judgemental at all(which helped a bit),anyway the result being he put me on a course of 2 different antibiotics as i have an absess and informed me he was referring me 2 the dental hospital 2 have a multiple tooth extraction done under GA!! i have lost some teeth over the years due 2 my phobia etc so i havent got many left 2 take out but as they are in such a state out they must come.
the actual extraction under GA i think i can cope with as i will be `asleep` its the pain afterwards & the fact i will need plates (dentures) made up,although part of me is looking forward 2 the end result in getting my smile back i am nervous& scared of the fact that i will be a denture wearer at 37..im embarrassed all over again about this.
Also what if i have problems with the dentures& they dont fit etc,what if they fall out in public?? i just dont know how to feel,what 2 do or what 2 say,will i be able 2 wear them at night? im very lucky in that i have a very supportive partner but i still wont want him 2 see me with no teeth!
so sorry this is such a long post but ive tried 2 get over the way im feeling about all this by being totally honest& hope that someone can offer some words of comfort.

The NHS hospital GA will be fine. You will get pain relief for afterwards as well. For the future you could look at implant-supported dentures if you don't get on with the NHS options. Good luck. You have done the best thing for your health if your teeth are beyond repair and suffering abcesses.

Hello,
You may feel like the only person in the world at moment who is going through this I know I did I too am awaiting multiple extractions (17) with IV sedation with immediate dentures fitted on NHS and have my pre assessment next week,I am 45, you are certainly not alone here I am chatting with 4 other people via private message all having their extractions in the next few weeks, I am not sure how to link you to people's threads but have a look through journals for denture and extractions, someone may come on and help point you to some threads they did for me,
well done for getting to the dentist and making a start you are very brave:welldone:. I think we all have worries about dentures and everyone has different experiences when they get them and I think you just have to stay as positive as possible and face each step individually our minds are great at winding us up and the more you think about it the more you end up tormenting yourself and fretting over things that may not happen, your dentist will work with you to keep your dentures fitting well and the hospital will do all they can to make sure you are kept pain free afterwards, but many postings on here i have read that have iv and go home say they are able to manage any discomfort with just ibuprofen ice packs and later warm cloths, I too will be glad to have a healthy mouth and a new smile, it will be so worth it, but only the other day posted to a buddy on here ' I don't want my hubby to see me without teeth and will have to kiss him goodnight turn out the light then do my teeth":giggle: please have a look around the stories, they have helped me a lot, I'm sure you will get lots off replies the people on here are wonderful!! and feel free to private message me if you just want basic chat I wish you lots of luck:clover: I will be following your story:hug5:

Hi Julz36,

Everything will be ok for you at the hospital, even for the pain. They will do their best to help you not suffering. For your teeth, you don't have to be ashamed, you have made the best choice, for yourself and your health. Plus, they do great dentures now, and they will care that they fit you right.

You are really brave to have going to the dentist, be proud of you ! :)
Good luck ! :XXLhug:

Hello,
You may feel like the only person in the world at moment who is going through this I know I did I too am awaiting multiple extractions (17) with IV sedation with immediate dentures fitted on NHS and have my pre assessment next week,I am 45, you are certainly not alone here I am chatting with 4 other people via private message all having their extractions in the next few weeks, I am not sure how to link you to people's threads but have a look through journals for denture and extractions, someone may come on and help point you to some threads they did for me,
well done for getting to the dentist and making a start you are very brave:welldone:. I think we all have worries about dentures and everyone has different experiences when they get them and I think you just have to stay as positive as possible and face each step individually our minds are great at winding us up and the more you think about it the more you end up tormenting yourself and fretting over things that may not happen, your dentist will work with you to keep your dentures fitting well and the hospital will do all they can to make sure you are kept pain free afterwards, but many postings on here i have read that have iv and go home say they are able to manage any discomfort with just ibuprofen ice packs and later warm cloths, I too will be glad to have a healthy mouth and a new smile, it will be so worth it, but only the other day posted to a buddy on here ' I don't want my hubby to see me without teeth and will have to kiss him goodnight turn out the light then do my teeth":giggle: please have a look around the stories, they have helped me a lot, I'm sure you will get lots off replies the people on here are wonderful!! and feel free to private message me if you just want basic chat I wish you lots of luck:clover: I will be following your story:hug5:

Thanku deejay for the kind words,I guess it's a combination of my phobia of dentists& a fear of the unknown and yes u are so right when u say our minds are great at winding us up,I have talked 2 my partner about all this& he said he will love me no matter what my mouth is because my teeth don't change who I am 2 him which is so kind of him 2 say so at least I know I have his love& support

Hi Julz36,

Everything will be ok for you at the hospital, even for the pain. They will do their best to help you not suffering. For your teeth, you don't have to be ashamed, you have made the best choice, for yourself and your health. Plus, they do great dentures now, and they will care that they fit you right.

You are really brave to have going to the dentist, be proud of you ! :)
Good luck ! :XXLhug:

Even though I was in severe pain it still took all my willpower &my partner dragging me there 2 go see the dentist but honestly I did feel a tad proud of myself for actually getting there lol,thanku for the kind words

You did fantastic!:yayy: :cheer::cheer2: That was the one off the hardest things to do and YOU DID IT,!!:claps::claps::claps: :you-rock: X x x x D.J :whirl:

a fear of the unknown

That's massive. Whilst your particular situation is unknown, you fear the worst.

It's a natural, normal, healthy reaction.

I will almost guarantee, once you know what needs to happen, you'll slowly accept and relax into your treatment, whatever it entails.

From an 'inner demon' perspective, knowing is ALWAYS better than not knowing.

We're here for moral support.

I/we all know how you feel. Seriously.

Best wishes,
Steve

That's massive. Whilst your particular situation is unknown, you fear the worst.

It's a natural, normal, healthy reaction.

I will almost guarantee, once you know what needs to happen, you'll slowly accept and relax into your treatment, whatever it entails.

From an 'inner demon' perspective, knowing is ALWAYS better than not knowing.

We're here for moral support.

I/we all know how you feel. Seriously.

Best wishes,

Steve

Thank you Steve,been reading a few posts on this forum &i now know I'm not alone in how I'm feeling which 2 a degree does make it easier 4 me

Reading your thread, I feel even more of a woos than ever. I am a wee bit older than you, but coming up to a year ago, went through extractions of crowns and full dentures. I have had my ups and down's with them, still do. BUT when I think of what I have gone from to where I am now - NO COMPARISON!!

I have had my tears, but more often than not my laughter - I don't have a huge gaping smile that I used to - I don't have teeth that are going in different directions in my mouth, and I do have a mouth that I can eat with, smile with and live with.

We all cope with things differently, and you will have your own trials and tribulations. Try to focus on the fact that what you have to deal with is the way it is. You will learn to adapt to your new mouth, and find that you have new found pleasures with it. I can eat apples, and all sorts of crunchy things now that I haven't been able to for years - wonderful!

And as brit says, you have the option of implant supported dentures should you need.

Big hugs xx

Back