• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Multiple tooth loss :-(

M

Mum1986

Hey,

I am new here, I have a massive dental phobia and have for most of my life due to a bad dentist experience when I was younger. I spent alot of my life avoiding the dentist and then a few years ago went back and had a couple of fillings and then was booked for an extraction...it went terribly, the dentist couldn't get my tooth out, it was a very horrendous experience and after that I reverted back to avoiding going.. anyway fast forward a few years and I just lost a tooth on Friday...now this is going to sound crazy stupid but it was then that I realised that I have lost my teeth on my right upper side...now obviously I knew I had lost teeth there but honestly I seemed to bury my head as to how many I had lost(I think it is 4-5 teeth)...(please no horrible comments i am so annoyed with myself as it is)

However now I have gone into full panic mode, I feel so depressed about what I am going to do...what are my options now? I am beyond scared about what they will tell me if I go...I know i need to book an appointment and that is what I am going to do but I just want to get some ideas of what they are going to say...I don't want them to say I need all my teeth out, I don't know if they are going to suggest dentures (I am 35!!!) I know I am rambling but I just want some kind of idea on what they may suggest? I am scared they are going to be disgusted that I have let it get this bad.

I haven't told anyone and because they are the back teeth no one can't really tell! I am not in pain but I am worried what is going to happen if I don't get this sorted!!

Any help would be so much appreciated! Please be kind

Thank you in advance xxxx

You will not get horrible comments on here, this is a very supportive site. Nearly everyone on here has been in the same boat as you at some time.

Please don't think the dentist will be disgusted or upset with you, dentists' brains aren't wired that way, we usually are more concerned with fixing things rather than worrying about why they needed fixing in the first place :)

Any more specific questions, feel free to ask in here, if you would like some general discussion on how to get through the first scary stages of getting your teeth fixed, then the "Support" section is a helpful place.

Thank you so much! I have barely slept for worrying about what is going to happen in my mouth and I think I am so annoyed with myself I just expected everyone else to feel the same! Although tbh part of the reason I actually posted is I saw how supportive everyone has been to other people!

Do you know what the options are for me when this has happened (obviously I mean in general as I know you cannot give specific answers as have not seen)

What is the worst case I am looking at if I don't have any work done? Obviously know that isn't the answer but so worried i won't be able to go through with it xx

hi!! i wanted to make an account today bc it is my first appt IN SOME TIME this afternoon. and i am so annoyed with myself too. i totally get where youre coming from. i am in the same situation as you.im missing bottom back teeth etc. im 36 so i also dont want to get dentures rn. im hoping implants are an option. or maybe implant supported partials. we'll see. ill keep you updated after my appt this afternoon with what they tell me since our situations sound similar .

Good luck, hope all goes well for you! Let me know how you get on xxx

thank you!!! god im so nervoussssss ughhhh. it didnt even have to be this way. whyyyy. did i do this to myself. blah. but ill post when im done . hopefully itll put both of our minds to rest .

Honestly I have asked myself that question over and over! If only we had a time machine hey? :grin:

Yes, I am hopeful it will do - well done for booking the appointment though! That is sometimes the hardest bit! Xx

omg im telling you , it feels so good to not be alone on this. YESSSSS... i keep going like if i could go back to 20 and kick myself into the dentist i would. -_- but we're doing it now and that does count for something. aw thank you! i cried afterwards lol. honestly my boyfriend had me call and make an appt for him and he encouraged me to do the same. hes covering the cost of whatever i want done so im a pretty lucky lady over here. <3 i think him having me do it for him first helped take the edge off. but i did cry lol. im sure ill cry at the appointment!

Yes it does! Hearimg from you has made me feel better! I literally felt like it was only me that had done this! (Bit self obsessed but there you go! Haha)

Oh wow lucky you, nice for you to not have to worry about the cost xx I dread to think how I will pay for it!

Again good luck and will hope the hear from you later xxx

omg im telling you , it feels so good to not be alone on this. YESSSSS... i keep going like if i could go back to 20 and kick myself into the dentist i would. -_- but we're doing it now and that does count for something. aw thank you! i cried afterwards lol. honestly my boyfriend had me call and make an appt for him and he encouraged me to do the same. hes covering the cost of whatever i want done so im a pretty lucky lady over here. <3 i think him having me do it for him first helped take the edge off. but i did cry lol. im sure ill cry at the appointment!

Hey, I was wondering how you got on? Xx

Back