• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My husband badly needs his whole mouth redone~

J

junestarlac

He is nearly 71 years old and in otherwise good health. Over the years he has neglected dental care BIG time. In the past, it was because he felt we could not afford it. Now he has snaggle teeth, huge gaps, few teeth, badly receded gums, teeth broken off at the gum, etc.

We are about to come into wealth as a result of a recent investment. My question is, what is the first step which should be taken to restore him to a healthy mouth?

What type of professional is best to start with? He detests and probably will reject any type of surgery ... he may even object to drilling into the bone of his gum if that is a recommended procedure.

Is there any way he can be "pre" educated so that, when the time comes, he can be halfway prepared as to what to expect. He is an uneducated man, although very well read.

Thank you ... I have never seen him with a beautiful smile and surely would look forward to that. :)

Hey.
It seems that the main and basic problem is the avoidance behavior. The problem with avoidance behavior is that it maintains and increases itself, that is to say change can not take place because the avoidance does not allow a new (and positive) experience.
A good strategy is getting small achievements, small improvements and step by step go toward the direction of healthy mouth. of course, the first step is the most difficult one.
What does your husband care for? What kind of motivation can give him the power to sit on the dental chair?
Here are some idea: If he is worried about his health, then he can learn about how much the gums health is important for the health of his hall body, specificly hurt diseases and diabetes. Does he like to socialize? Having a nice smile counts in that matter.
Does he like to eat steaks? You can see where I am headed...
The idea is to help him find the motivation to do something different, to make a change. Finding a valuable reason (health, communication with people, eating and more) and lots of love and support can help initiating change.;D

Last edited:
Hi Junestarlac
Just thought I'd point out, especially if you are in the USA, there is a world of difference between having painfree functional teeth and a dazzling white Hollywood smile. Your husband may care more for the former than the latter....bear this in mind and make sure you don't impose too many of your own ideas...upfront.