• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My tongue doesn't seem to obey me

  • Thread starter Thread starter marcogs
  • Start date Start date
M

marcogs

Junior member
Joined
Jun 1, 2009
Messages
1
Hi all. I'm new to this forum, and English is not my 1st language, so I apologize in advance for maybe sounding a little funny and stuff.
Well, I'm afraid of dentists of course. But I needed a new fixed prosthesis, so here I am, scared as hell.
The main problem is I can't seem to get to control my tongue. I try to keep it from the dentist instruments, but just can't. At my last appointment, the dentist discovered there was a pretty large cavity on the tooth that is underneath the old prosthesis, and started drilling it. It was painful, distressing, and my tongue just kept touching the drill and what-not. By and by, the dentist became frustrated, and complained a lot of times about me not being able to fully open my mouth and the crazy tongue. "You can control it, you know you can".
Well, now the treatment is already paid, but I lack confidence to go back there. My next appointment is on June 16th. According to him, maybe I have to have a canal treatment. "But", he says, "I don't know how we are going to do this, with you not being able to fully open your mouth, and moving your tongue like that".
Does anyone have a similar problem? How do I cope with this f***ing tongue of mine?
 
Hi marcogs [smiley=welcome.gif],

for the root canal treatment, the dentist should be using a rubber dam, which would also have the added advantage of keeping your inquisitive tongue in check. If he's not using a rubber dam for the root canal treatment, then I might look for a different dentist (or better still, especially if it's a back tooth, a dentist who specialises in root canal treatment - these dentists are called "endodontists").

Some people are able to control their tongue well, but if you aren't among them, your dentist needs to manage it. Either by using a rubber dam (which should always be used for root canal treatment anyway to avoid contamination) or by using their little mirror to keep the tongue in check.

I hope this helps :)
 
Are you afraid of other things about dentist than this? I have a problem that I can't stay still when I'm nervous. That of course makes me worried about hurting meself or the doctor/dentist/nurse. I've noticed that with a little anti-anxiety medication this problem disappears as it's related to nervousness for me. Of course your case may be different, this was just a thought.
 
Back
Top