• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My Wisdom Teeth (3rd Molar)

U

unknown1ne

I am 18. My Wisdom Teeth are now starting to come in. I have talked to my mother about this, she says this is normal. But she also said that they may need to be removed because they could compact my teeth. I have nicely and uniformed teeth on my top and bottom of my mouth, so I really don't need any compacting, sliding, bending, etc of my teeth.

My wisdom teeth hurt sometimes, I don't think they are coming in crooked because I look into the mirror and I can see the top of them. They are about 5mm above the gumline (guestimate). If I eat anything (like chips) and it hits the teeth, its not really the teeth that hurt, it's my gums.

So, some quick questions
  • How long will it take for my wisdom teeth to go away?
  • What are some signs that I may need to have them pulled?
  • What are some signs that show that my wisdom teeth may be growing "crooked?"
  • Why do they hurt right now?

Please let me know. Thanks :thumbsup: -Unknown1ne

1) The pain will go away when they completely break through the gum. A couple of months at most
2) Trouble opening your jaw, extreme pain, bad smell, bad taste. You'll know about it if it happens!
3) X-rays and direct observation. The uppers quite often come in tilted a bit towards the cheek and straighten up later
4) You're teething. Ask your mum what it was like when you were 3 :)

Gordon said:
1) The pain will go away when they completely break through the gum. A couple of months at most
2) Trouble opening your jaw, extreme pain, bad smell, bad taste. You'll know about it if it happens!
3) X-rays and direct observation. The uppers quite often come in tilted a bit towards the cheek and straighten up later
4) You're teething. Ask your mum what it was like when you were 3 :)

Thanks Gordan,

I'll try to expect the pain to go away within a few months heh.

Best regards

Back