• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need urgent advice please.

H

Hartington99

I was brushing my teeth where I have a white composite filling and hit it pretty hard with the toothbrush by accident. I was worried that I’d chipped the filling. However I didn’t feel anything come out / see anything. I have had a look and can’t see any damage nor can my partner but it does feel a little strange and tender on the gum. I have managed to get some sort of image of the tooth and I will circle the area I’m concerned about which my partner is saying isn’t the tooth in question and just my gum. I’m terrified that I have chipped it and just can’t see it because I’m not a dentist. It’s not sensitive to hot or cold but feels a bit muffled now I think from touching it with my tounge.

Last edited:
I was brushing my teeth where I have a white composite filling and hit it pretty hard with the toothbrush I was worried that I’d chipped the filling. However I didn’t feel anything come out / see anything. I have had a look and can’t see any damage nor can my partner but it does feel a little strange and tender on the gum. I have managed to get some sort of image of the tooth anx I will circle the area I’m concerned about which my partner is saying isn’t the tooth in question and just gum the arrow shows where the filling is. I’m terrified that I have chipped it and just can’t see it because I’m not a dentist. It’s not sensitive to hot or cold but feels a bit muffled now I think from touching it with my tounge. What would be the tell tale signs that I have? And what happens if I leave it because I’m not sure and find that I have?

Attachments

• 9CE231AA-9DC7-4EEB-BBE7-061F1925AE12.jpeg
    9CE231AA-9DC7-4EEB-BBE7-061F1925AE12.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 15
  • BD1EBC18-B10A-4DAC-A0D3-E391767DFF86.jpeg
    BD1EBC18-B10A-4DAC-A0D3-E391767DFF86.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 15
I'm not a dentist but I wouldnt have thought you could easily chip a filling with the toothbrush unless the filling was already cracked or damaged. You might have just made the gum a little sore from keep messing with it maybe? Im sure one of the experts can advise better though.

I'm not a dentist but I wouldnt have thought you could easily chip a filling with the toothbrush unless the filling was already cracked or damaged. You might have just made the gum a little sore from keep messing with it maybe? Im sure one of the experts can advise better though.
Thanks so much for your reply. I thought that it was unlikely but my anxious mind otherwise. Thank you fingers crossed. I’m eating and drinking fine so hopefully it’s nothing more than me being anxious

I think its very hard not to let your mind run away with you when you suffer with dental anxiety. I am terrible and even the smallest of things to do with my teeth send me into a panic, as hard as I try not to panic its really difficult. If you're getting discomfort after a few days or so its worth getting your dentist to have a look but I'm sure its all fine

You can't possibly have chipped the filling with a brush, as Mum says, most likely you've just given the gum a scrape.

I think its very hard not to let your mind run away with you when you suffer with dental anxiety. I am terrible and even the smallest of things to do with my teeth send me into a panic, as hard as I try not to panic its really difficult. If you're getting discomfort after a few days or so its worth getting your dentist to have a look but I'm sure its all fine
Thank you so much.

You can't possibly have chipped the filling with a brush, as Mum says, most likely you've just given the gum a scrape.
Thank you Gordon, may I ask, does it look okay from what you can see on the image? If it was chipped around the back would it be noticeable/painful? Thank you.

I really can't be totally certain, but it looks OK.

If it was chipped enough to cause a problem though then 2 things:
1) Your tongue would never be away from it, chipped teeth are tongue magnets!
2) The tooth would be sensitive to cold/sweet and possibly hot

I really can't be totally certain, but it looks OK.

If it was chipped enough to cause a problem though then 2 things:
1) Your tongue would never be away from it, chipped teeth are tongue magnets!
2) The tooth would be sensitive to cold/sweet and possibly hot
Thank you Gordon, I’m not suffering with either of those as such so fingers crossed. Thanks again

Back