• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Needing a dentist that's very kind on NHS (uk) but can't find one HELP

L

law69

So I found out in the uk the NHS pay for most of your dental treatment apart from cosmetic like implants
Highest band = lots work is £233 NHS pay the rest as I'm not rich this is a relief
But
I can't find a NHS dentist that's got good reviews I live on an island so I am at a disadvantage as they won't take NHS patents on the mainland if there's some where I live.

What do I do
Just go to an NHS one face my fears or
Go to the phobics dentist private which could cost me a lot money I don't have

Sadly my teeth aren't great and will need lots treatment

Feeling rather sad ?

I feel your pain. I don't think I am eligible for NHS treatment, but I didn't even look into it because I imagined I'd be totally at their mercy in terms of how long the treatment (extensive in my case) would take, so I just went with my dentist from childhood who has only ever been private purely so we can just crack on and get it done as quickly as possible. I'm not looking forward to the £2,000+ bill but I've got to the stage where I will pay anything to get my teeth fixed. Paying less than £400 for all the necessary treatment in your case is obviously a bargain by comparison. I hope that you get responses here from those who have experience as NHS dental patients. I can only share my ongoing experience as a private patient. I think it may be a case of "you get what you pay for" when it comes to private vs. NHS, but that's purely speculation on my part. For instance, my mother recently had a traumatic cataract removed. On the NHS they only fit a 'basic' lens over the eye for free, so you either had to pay or go private if you wanted a better lens. Of course, with NHS dentistry you're still parting with money anyway so perhaps it would be a different situation. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Last edited:
Thankyou for replying
What is included in the £2000 your having if you don't mind me asking ?

I've got to the point of sick of the toothache that I'm seeing emergency dentist tomorrow it was last minute fear of dying from infection but I'm terrified

I agree you get what you pay for a you say I will get done why I can afford them go back :(

All four wisdom teeth removed, hygienist appointments, a root canal treatment and 15 tooth restorations.

Regarding private dentistry, don't forget you will always be able to work out financial aid or a payment plan for treatment.

All four wisdom teeth removed, hygienist appointments, a root canal treatment and 15 tooth restorations.

Regarding private dentistry, don't forget you will always be able to work out financial aid or a payment plan for treatment.

Thankyou

Hopefully they're let me spread the cost
My husband said he'd help but hate asking him

That's quite alot work for the money for you but I think I'll need lots more probably being 11 years older than you and gum diease isn't going to help

Thankyou for your help

Hope you get through your treatment soon

Back