• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous of the dentist.

J

justjem7

Junior member
Joined
Oct 8, 2023
Messages
1
Location
Cornwall
Hello, I'm 29 and have a really bad phobia of the dentist, most likely get it from my mum bless her.

I've been with my private dentist since last August, after not seeing a dentist since I was 21 due to being on the NHS waiting list for a long time.

My filling fell out of my wisdom tooth, so I decided to go to the dentist, but unfortunately only could get a private dentist due to lack of NHS dentists in my area and in the UK in general etc.

I had to have my molar removed and my wisdom tooth removed and two white composite on my top right molar, another where my tooth chipped on the top molar and on my bottom right molar. I also have a Mercury filling on my top left molar that I have had since I was 21.

I am now seeing a dentist on a regular basis, and having dental cleans every 3 months and seeing the dentist every 6 months...but I still feel extremely nervous.

My main concern is.. fillings, what if they fall out? Im so scared...
 
Hi there, I actually had a filling fall out. It was a composite filling that I had for at least 20 years. At the time it fell out I hadn't seen a dentist for 19 years. It was actually no big deal to fix, I went to a drug store, and got some temporary tooth filling material that I put in the hole. Then I went to an emergency dentist and they did a new filling. The procedure wasn't a bigger deal in any way than the first time I had the filling done.

Just like you I have a phobia too, but now I am going every 6 months for cleaning and checkup, and am still extremely nervous, so I know how that is. Good job to you for getting back to it!
 
@justjem7I had a filling fall out as well. I am also very petrified of the dentist. For me, it was not too bad. They may have cleaned the area a little bit and then they build up the tooth again with composite filling. In my case the tooth structure below was still in good shape. It is amazing how they can re-build a tooth. I have now done that with three molars. So no crowns or shaving down the tooth at all. But even if they say it’s too weak to rebuild. I have also had four extractions that were uncomplicated and only took a minute to remove. No pain at all. My fear was much worse than the actual work.If it helps you could just go in and see what their plan will be.
 
Back
Top