• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New composite front tooth filling...afraid of breaking it.

F

fox

Yesterday my dentist put a resin composite filling in one of my front top teeth (first tooth to the left of my front two teeth). She said there was a bit of decay that began on the back, from the bottom of the tooth up to the gum line. She drilled out the decay and put in the composite filling. I noticed that it doesn't take up the entirety of my tooth, the edge and upward. I've never had a front tooth worked on and I'm completely paranoid that I could break this filling off since its on the back and along the front. There seems to be a very very light hairline along from where the filling is and my tooth is. It isn't a crack, just a fine white line (not obvious).

The other problem is I think that the "shiny" coating that they put over my tooth is starting to already flake off. I lost a bit of it earlier when I was "daring" and tried to bite into a bit of cheese. It flaked, and there's a larger flake that could come off too (I've not been fiddling with it).

Since I'm surely ridiculously paranoid...I've avoided biting into anything with this tooth as I'm terrified I'll break it off. As you can imagine, I'm not eating as I should and now that the shine is flaking off I'm becoming even more concerned that this could just snap if I wanted to bite into something. Worst part is I'm sick of being ginger about it -- I'm hungry for something other than soup and yogurts.

I see my dentist on Friday again for two molar fillings. In the meantime, I'm so unsure of the strength of composite fillings. I was given no information when I left, so I had to turn to google to figure out what I can eat, how strong this kind of filling can be, and if I'm running a risk of snapping it off and having a chunk taken off my front tooth. :\

In need of reassurance,
Fox

It should hold up just fine. Eat away. :)

Regading the thin white line: the dentist uses many materials during the making of a filling, some of themmight be slightly visible on the edges of the filling. It should not be a problem though, unless it is not esthetic.
Many dentist apply also a thin layer of coating after the filling. It is an extremely thin layer, which also parts of it may fall of in the following days. Again, it is should not be treated further.
:)

Regading the thin white line: the dentist uses many materials during the making of a filling, some of themmight be slightly visible on the edges of the filling. It should not be a problem though, unless it is not esthetic.
:)

That's the part that troubles me. It's noticeable enough. :(

Thank you for your replies gents.

Last edited:
Hey
A filling needs to be aesthetic, according to the patients satisfaction.
There are several techniques to hide if not blur the borders of the white filling. There is a chance that the borders get stained over the years and it is a part of the filling guaranty to clean it and make the filling aesthetic.
In short, if you are not satisfied from the outer look of the filling, you have the right to get it fixed.

Hey
A filling needs to be aesthetic, according to the patients satisfaction.
There are several techniques to hide if not blur the borders of the white filling. There is a chance that the borders get stained over the years and it is a part of the filling guaranty to clean it and make the filling aesthetic.
In short, if you are not satisfied from the outer look of the filling, you have the right to get it fixed.

I hope that if you are ever terribly stressed-out about something, that someone does for you what you just did for me in reassuring me. :)

I am going in for a second appointment today (minor fillings in the back) and I'm going to mention the front filling.

You're a lucky star for me today, thank you so much.

xx

Thank you for your kind words.
:hug2:

Status update on this original post.

Today the dentist asked me about it when I came in to have 3 minor fillings. I said, "Well...I'm not exactly pleased with the seam...and I'm not confident that its structurally sound." I showed her the seam and she kind of raised her eyebrows and agreed that it should be sorted. She'd not done the finishing work on it, one of her assistants did on Tuesday. So today she and a different assistant of hers tended to the seam and made it look completely how I would have liked it to and I'm happy with it. As soon as I have a look and feel this relief flush over me, she tells me that she wants to re-do the filling entirely in a few weeks. Apparently it's not exactly as "strong" as she'd like it and wants to have another go at it.

I give her the benefit of the doubt but in my head I was thinking,
So you drilled away half a tooth that appeared perfect... and have put in a filling that you're not sure about? GAHHHHHH EVEN SATAN ISN'T DEPICTED HOLDING A DRILL. YOU'RE EVIL.

(LOL)
Reasons to have anxiety? Gimme some more please! Serve it up! LOL...but it's alright...it'll get sorted and the 2nd go at it can't be worse than the first. Especially now that they know I'm not having any of this "seam" nonsense right on the front of my tooth. Today's fix has shown that was fairly unnecessary in the first place. Shame that it's getting re-done, I quite like how they spiffed it up. :p

Last edited:
@fox how is your filling? Is it still holding up?

Back