• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New here and need a little support...

• Thread starter Scared&No1Cares
  • Start date
S

Scared&No1Cares

Hello there,
I've been lurking here for a few years and after a trip to the dentist a few days ago I figured that now was a good time to join. I've been reading about a lot of other people in the same position that I'm in so at least now I don't feel so alone. I'm 34 and I was told that I need my remaining teeth taken out and would either need dentures or implants. Obviously the main reason why my teeth have gotten so bad is because of my extreme fear of dentists, needles, and genetics didn't help; at least half of my family (on both sides) had to have dentures when they were even younger than I am.

I've been having pain and infections off-and-on for over 10 years now, but it's only recently gotten worse in the past 3 years. I still have pain even right now despite having just finished a round of amoxicillin, plus I just feel generally like crap because of the pain, worry, stress, panic, etc.. you get the idea. What has me particularly worried though is that, the dentist that I went to first took 2 different kinds of x-rays, and when he told me that I'd have to have them all removed he said, "there's a lot of infection in there." That's odd considering that I've been taking the amoxicillin to prevent the infection from spreading. Now I'm really scared about that and the possibility of this killing me before I can get anything done about it. What's ironic is that he didn't seem concerned about me getting it done right away, otherwise he probably would have said that it was really serious, instead he referred me to an oral surgeon and sent me on my way. I'm thinking that maybe I should ask for copies of the x-rays and maybe get a 2nd opinion before getting an oral surgeon, and I'm not going to use the 1 he referred me to because I've been to the guy before and he's a total rip-off.

Anyway, sorry for my somewhat long and weird rant. I was just wondering if anyone here has any advice about what I should do? Has anyone else been through something similar? Should I go to the hospital and see if the infection is spreading? Should I get those x-rays and get a 2nd opinion? Any help from my fellow fearers is appreciated.

Hi scared,

I'm in no way medical but an infection in the mouth is common even with amolxiccilin, I'm 42 and got a partial falsie at 23 years old 16 years later due to a dental phobia I have to have all my remains teeth out (top and all bottom), if you think the dentist is wrong then go for a 2nd opinion if your uncomfortable with the dentist find another, I do know what your going through and how hard it is to pluck up the courage to go but stick at it just think you will have a new smile soon.

If your gut is telling you to get a second opinion, then my vote is for you to get a second opinion.

I'm also not a medical professional but I too am of the opinion that the infection is unlikely to be deadly. Many of us here, myself included, have lived knowingly/unknowingly with infection in our mouths for a long time. I believe I had an infection in a tooth where I had an abscess for 15 years (the time I went between dentist visits) and I am still here.

I trusted my dentist and never sought a second opinion. But, for a big decision like this, if resources aren't a major concern, it could be worth the new patient consult to get another perspective. My understanding is one area where infection matters is bone loss which can impact the successfulness/approach to implants. If you are leaning towards implants over dentures you might especially value a second opinion before making the investment.

Please do keep us posted. And let us know how we can help. Many here in the same or similar boats!

Wow, thank you for such a warm welcome and the advice.
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you all. I'm still trying to find another dentist/oral surgeon.
I'm also still trying to get the x-rays that the other dentist took but they are giving me the run-around, which is maddening because I went through a 2nd course of amoxicillin after my initial post and I'm not sure that it's doing any good. So now I still feel like crap, a lot of headaches, tooth/gum pain, dizziness, all the biggies.. Here I am over a month later and I haven't been able to get any help with it. TBH, even my family members think that I'm lying to them when I told them what the dentist told me and it was 1 of my family members that referred me to him in the first place.

Yeah so ya'll can imagine that I'm almost in constant pain and panic, stress-mode, like ALL THE TIME now until I can get something done about this. Does anyone know how I can get my X-rays from this other dentist? Thanks again for reading.

Hi and welcome.

Firstly congrats on making and keeping that appointment, in a way it's the hardest one to do

Since it's quite a major undertaking whichever way you are going to decide (dentures or Implants) I would say go for a second opinion before you agree to anything, as my own fabulous dentist says " we all approach things slightly differently" you may get a different opinion but at least you can decide which dentist you like and trust most.

Is there a highly recommended dentist near to you that you could arrange a consultation with, if so go for it and see what they say.

Kind Regards

I went through a lot of panic and anxiety before I forced myself to get the root canal done. The best thing you can do is either get a second opinion and then make a decision and do it or just go for it with the person you already saw.

I Had my root canal about a week ago and yes it was anxiety ridden but after I was settled in the chair, I was ok, really. Just gotta get over that first step and i know how hard that can be.

Best of luck and wishing you happy thoughts

I would think that getting a second opinion does not require the original xRays. Any dentist you see well be able to take images, and may prefer to use their own anyway. If you are in constant pain, anxiety and fear. Then I think the best advice is just go for it. Pain, anxiety and fear, create a miserable existence. Going to the dentist and moving forward with the recommended treatment, well not make you feel worse. Almost certainly, it well make you feel better. Not much to lose. Well, except a few $$$$. Sounds to me like it would be a great investment, for your quality of life.

Best of luck.

I was here a number of months ago asking for advice, and yes, here I am again. Could I ask any of you if it's customary for Dentists to withhold antibiotics from patients with an infection until the patient signs a treatment plan? The last dentist that I saw actually told me nonchalantly that I actually have infection in my bone too, and that they weren't going to prescribe me anything for the infection until I signed onto their treatment plan. This kind of sounds like extortion of some kind because the patients could be desperate and scared, and do whatever they have to do to stop the infection from spreading.

I'm still in the same situation I was before. I still don't know where to go and most of the dentists that I've seen want me to pay ridiculous prices for the "immediate dentures" that will have to be replaced later on and/or let them do the "traditional implant process" later(which as we all know means more money to them and ripping off us patients because they add stuff to the treatment to bump up the prices).$4000 for immediate dentures is a lot for immediates that would need to be tossed after only about a year.

Back