• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New here, needing to go to dentist.

K

kharaa

Normally I wouldn't sign up for a forum like this, unless i was in desperate need of support.

But here I am, if there is one major anxiety i have, is the fear of dentists, that and spiders.

both will reduce me(6'0" 220lbs) to nearly tears and tremors.

I'll almost puke from the anxiety of going to the dentist.

Here is the situation, due to poor dental hygine from my own lack of motivation, i have two teeth that have chipped/broken on the corners my upper left back molar, and my bottem right molar, berating aside, I know this is all my fault, and i swear to god when I have the balls to get them fixed, I will brush my teeth, and never drink soda again for as long as I live.

not that i drink a ton of soda anyways, quit that when I got my wisdom teeth out 3 years ago.

So here is my PROBLEM, I have severe anxiety disorder, and social anxiety disorder, I have a problem going to resturaunts or the movie theater with my best friend; much less a dentist who i know is going to try and axe murder me while i'm in the chair(common anxious delusion, I assure you.)

Tonight because of a lack of anything to drink, and me feeling drowsy, I decided to drink a coke; bad idea i know, about a half an hour after finishing my entire side of my face starts to ache, and sharp jabing pains go shooting up it. all the way up to my temples.

I know I need to go to the dentist, but my problem is this, I almost know for a fact i'll have to be put under, my question is this; how much does it cost, i think i'll have to have two extractions unless they can fix the tooth up nicely while i'm asleep. and I also have tinnitus, from either eustuchian tube dysfunction or hearing loss, either way; if it gets any worse i'll go over the edge.

Any advice, comments, things I can do? :cry:

Hello kharaa:

Welcome to this forum. :welcome:

You have made a great decision in coming here. This place has many people that have been, and are where you are right now. You will receive support and encouragement, not ridicule or scorn.

Anxiety is very powerful and can destroy quality of life. It can take control of you like few things can. The terror is real and difficult to explain to other people.

You are doing the hardest thing right now, acknowledging the fear but refusing to allow it to have the last word. This is a powerful act. Good job! Anxiety gets stronger with avoidance.

In regard to the dental aspects. The cost of sedation varies by dentist and type of sedation. You should be able to work out something with your dentist. Restoration dentistry has made huge advances, meaning most teeth can be saved. All this work can be done with a local or you in "twilight sleep" or completely out. The ear issues should not interfere with any type of sedation.

You can also talk with the dentist about anti-anxiety medication such as Ativan if you do not have any. Do not become overwhelmed, take it one step at a time. Set a goal that you can accomplish. For example. Look up the phone number of the dentist. Take a break. Set a time to call and make the appointment, etc.

Look for dentist that works with nervous or phobic patients. Many of these offices will have email addresses posted so you can contact them. For many people this is an easier step before making a phone call.

By breaking up the action into a series of low risk steps it make the goal easier to achieve. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

You are not alone and there are many options to help you through the process. Practicing relaxation and self-soothing techniques can help to calm the anxiety response. I can send you some that I use with my patients.

You are going to be fine. You can do this and be successful.

All the best to you. :)

Hi Kharaa,

I feel for you, I really do, because I know what it's like. I haven't been to the dentist in years and I have my 1st appointment next Tue :scared:

It took alot of reading this forum for me to be able to start looking for a dentist who I think I MIGHT be able to trust and in the end I found (through Brit) a website for one that said they specially deal with phobic people. As StressDoc advised I emailed them 1st off as I couldn't cope with calling but I had a lovely reply back so felt able to actually ring to make the appointment. My heart was pounding and I swear I could feel it beating througout my whole body but actually when I started talking to the receptionist I did start to calm down so I think the key is to find a sympathetic practice (and I mean everyone, from dentist to receptionist has to understand people with the fear).

Are you in the UK?

;D Thanks for the axe murder comment, I LMAO, and I needed the laugh.

I'm waiting to get in to see an endodontist regarding a root canal and am in a codeine induced fog right now to control the pain. I've been feeling MISERABLE so I really needed the laugh.

I wish I could give you some pricing ideas, but I have no idea as I'm sure this varies from place to place, and my insurance covers it.

I also have a fear of spiders (and flying and enclosed spaces), so I can totally relate to your anxieties. It's a common theme here - it seems many of us have other anxieties besides the dentist.

I don't really have too much in the way of advice, I just wanted you to know you are not alone, nor a loon. :p (Sorry - it's the drugs, I promise.)

BTW - those sharp jabbing pains from drinking something cold are exactly what I had. I think the first thing you'll need is an x-ray. I tried to convince myself it was a sinus infection that would be cured by antibiotics, but I think that was major denial. I am finally starting to believe the dentist - that I need a root canal. AARRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared: Under IV sedation of course.

;D Thanks for the axe murder comment, I LMAO, and I needed the laugh.

No problem. ;)

I'm waiting to get in to see an endodontist regarding a root canal and am in a codeine induced fog right now to control the pain. I've been feeling MISERABLE so I really needed the laugh.

I can't say i'm miserable yet, but after trying a remedy such as mouthwash and stuff trying to 'neutralize' the acid from the soda. my tooth felt moderately better last night, but now waking up i can feel the pulse of the ache. sigh

I wish I could give you some pricing ideas, but I have no idea as I'm sure this varies from place to place, and my insurance covers it.

Yeah this is the problem for me, i have amazing health insurance, but my dental is lacking, 1000 a year.

I also have a fear of spiders (and flying and enclosed spaces), so I can totally relate to your anxieties. It's a common theme here - it seems many of us have other anxieties besides the dentist.

I go in to full blown panic over spiders, had one fall on my hand while i was on the computer; i nearly put a hole through the wall in my frantic screaming and flailing.

BTW - those sharp jabbing pains from drinking something cold are exactly what I had. I think the first thing you'll need is an x-ray. I tried to convince myself it was a sinus infection that would be cured by antibiotics, but I think that was major denial. I am finally starting to believe the dentist - that I need a root canal. AARRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared: Under IV sedation of course.

and while a sinus infection would make sense; it is highly unlikely that i'll ever be THAT lucky. I've been stuffed up and my family has been coming down with what sounds like a cold; a sinus infection would fit right in with the headaches, and the jaw pain; but not with my luck, nope..

and any proceedure they do to me, it'll be under general anestheia or it won't get done; not because of any stubberoness, but because I will puke, or crap my pants out of anxiety. :sick:

ava said:
It took alot of reading this forum for me to be able to start looking for a dentist who I think I MIGHT be able to trust and in the end I found (through Brit) a website for one that said they specially deal with phobic people. As StressDoc advised I emailed them 1st off as I couldn't cope with calling but I had a lovely reply back so felt able to actually ring to make the appointment. My heart was pounding and I swear I could feel it beating througout my whole body but actually when I started talking to the receptionist I did start to calm down so I think the key is to find a sympathetic practice (and I mean everyone, from dentist to receptionist has to understand people with the fear).

Are you in the UK?

there in lies the challenged, finding a practice that just doesn't look at you like "oh you big baby" -_-

and no I live in the US, Utah.

Omg I can't tell you how much im laughing over the spider dropping on your hand comment, thanks for that! That really cheered me up while im sitting here thinking about my appt on Tue.

Have you tried the dentist finder for your area? It would be ace if you could find one that was recommended on here as then you would KNOW that they are used to dealing with phobics?

Omg I can't tell you how much im laughing over the spider dropping on your hand comment, thanks for that! That really cheered me up while im sitting here thinking about my appt on Tue.

Have you tried the dentist finder for your area? It would be ace if you could find one that was recommended on here as then you would KNOW that they are used to dealing with phobics?

Ava, you'd laugh ten times as hard if you know how i looked.

People often compare me to Zakk Wylde(guitarist) or A biker. just because of the way I look, so watching me scream like a little girl over a spider, is rather hilarious(for the people watching.)

22 years old, 6 foot, 220 pounds. and i can scream louder than my baby sister can when it comes to spiders.

-shudders-

I havn't tried a dentist finder, I will soon though; I know I NEED to have this taken care of, but there is this part in the back of my mind that hopes that it'll just fade away for now so I don't have to deal with it.

lol thanks for padding out the image of you jumping around with the spider on your hand, now im laughing even harder!

I totally know what you mean about the dentist, that's where I have been right up until about a week ago when I made my appointment eeck

Hey Kharra,

Well if you want to talk about luck - I had two of THE MOST DISGUSTING spider like bugs decide to take up residence in my office this week. And I work with a bunch of military guys who see this chick running down the hall because of a bug and think I'm nuts. But at least I have people who can kill them for me. :) Grossed me out all week though, every time something brushed against my skin I'd yell out loud.

I live in Ottawa, Canada. I wish you were in this city, I have the most amazing dentist, and after today, also a wonderful endodonist (I now have a root canal booked for next week - see my other post). They would both never judge you at all. I'm sure you have dental experts in your area though that won't judge you. I think like me - you have trust issues - another common theme here it seems. Please take care of yourself and start by seeking out a nice dentist - there are lots out there. Ask friends, family and co-workers, I'm sure you'll find one that you can trust (well sort of) and who will make you feel at ease.

My appt. today went really well - I only had one minor meltdown unlike Monday when I think I probably caused most of the dental staff to rethink their career choice. :devilish:

Now get going and find a nice dentist - I know you can do it!! :)

Hey Kharra,

Well if you want to talk about luck - I had two of THE MOST DISGUSTING spider like bugs decide to take up residence in my office this week. And I work with a bunch of military guys who see this chick running down the hall because of a bug and think I'm nuts. But at least I have people who can kill them for me. :) Grossed me out all week though, every time something brushed against my skin I'd yell out loud.

Oh leela, I know what you mean, i'm a masochist i think; (not regarding physical pain) i'll look up spider videos to freak myself out and for two hours afterword i'm like skldfjaskldfj everytime i felt one of my hairs tingle!

I live in Ottawa, Canada. I wish you were in this city, I have the most amazing dentist, and after today, also a wonderful endodonist (I now have a root canal booked for next week - see my other post). They would both never judge you at all. I'm sure you have dental experts in your area though that won't judge you. I think like me - you have trust issues - another common theme here it seems. Please take care of yourself and start by seeking out a nice dentist - there are lots out there. Ask friends, family and co-workers, I'm sure you'll find one that you can trust (well sort of) and who will make you feel at ease.

I think i might have found a good dentist.

His website says children over 2, but maybe he works on adults too; besides i'm just a big baby anyways. :)

My appt. today went really well - I only had one minor meltdown unlike Monday when I think I probably caused most of the dental staff to rethink their career choice. :devilish:

Now get going and find a nice dentist - I know you can do it!! :)
Hahaha.. minor meltdown, anyone missing any teeth(snicker pun intended)?

needing to go to the dentist as an emergancy

So i posted here a couple times over a year ago, made a few people laugh with an axe murder comment. (and had a couple of ladies giggling about my incidents with spiders.)

unfortunetely however i never did make it to the dentist. the aching subsided, and everything went back to normal, and other than ahving to avoid candy or alot of soda; life was fine.

enter about 3 weeks ago; a third break happened on another tooth( my bottem right back molar, and my top left back molar are the first two.), this one i think alot more minor than the rest. however it hurts worse in terms of aching than the other two more severely broken teeth! however, again.. i ignored it

so today, i'm eating a peice of french bread pizza. wonderful tasting stuff, and i bite down on my right side(since the original broken tooth i had even as bad of condition it was in, never hurt, ever.) I felt one of the most excruciating pains like a shock of lightning through my lower right jaw.

I think i nearly peed! thinking it to be me just having gotten something down inside of the tooth that happens once in a RARE while, i try to take another bite, i'm pretty sure by this point, i did pee.

so of course the immediate grand mal panic attack starts in. and my tooth and jaw HURT. it hurts when my tongue even TOUCHES the tooth.

so by this point i know something is WRONG. so i wait for some of my family to get home, and i told my mother "I need to go to the dentist, like now." which i'm sure most of you understand, is NOT something you say easily. it's almost like i forgot all incidents of being scared of the dentist, that's how bad this hurt.

so after 4 ibprofun, and some supportive talking from my family. i was okay, my tooth was done hurting, my jaw was only a LITTLE achey. then i decided okay.. i hadn't eaten all day since that couple of bites of pizza, maybe i can try a bit of hamburger helper.

nope, i think a peice of food got in to the tooth where the break is at, and i again, probably peed.

so ANOTHER 4 IBPROFUN LATER. here I sit, panicking because tomarrow we're going to try to make an emergancy appointment with the dentist.

my anxiety level is high, very high. enough to have avoided going to the emergancy room like a normal intelligent person would after having 3 teeth break.

I need sedation, but my family laugh at me, thinking i'm crazy to want to be sedated to go to the dentist.

my mother had avoided going to the doctors for like 25 years, and had been in a wreck; her mouth was a wreck as well(pun intended) she was mind numbingly terrified of the dentist as well, but she went in and had everything fixed (6 teeth pulled, top dentures, bridge on the bottem) sobbing and shaking.

And yet she doesn't seem to get it, she says she understands... but it's clear to me she doesn't. I'm not her, even if i'm scared i can't just sit there and let them do it.

Just venting out my frustrations here before zero hour..

I feel your pain, hope you get everything sorted out soon.

Triple_S
XX
:XXLhug:

appointment made

...well i got in to an emergency dentist 1:00 today in the afternoon.

so 2 hours..

i think i may puke.. :sick:

i feel like i'm going to just pass out!

Re: appointment made

Well done and lots of :XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug:. I am sure you will be fine x

good luck!

i had an appointment today as well. i was very very scared until I actually got there, and I am lucky to have a dentist I felt I could trust being in her hands. The pain that I feared never came as bad as I thought it would. I hope the same is true for you!

Best luck to you.

:XXLhug: You can do it! :XXLhug:

How did it go?! I hope it went well!

just went to the dentist, they did an exam; they say i need 4 root canals(3 definate 1 maybe.)

they don't offer any sedation other than valium+gas

they did say however they can outsource me to another place that DOES do it under sedation.

the problem is they want 8000 dollars for the entire thing, this is like highway robbery.

my insurance covers like 1500 max!

my mom had her teeth and mouth redone, several extractions, dentures, bridge, surgery to repair the muscle/bone in her upper lip, she paid like 4300 dollar max.

Blah! i'm not sure what to do

That does sound like a lot. You may want to get a second opinion. I had lots of work done and it wasn't anywhere near 8000. Good luck.

making an appointment today...

So if you look at my post history, my two in paticular, you'll see i've been in a exorbitant amount of pain. i've had acute pulptis for several weeks, and havn't been able to lay down, well two days ago something happened i'm not sure what, and my tooth has been ignited, so bad that my family is making me an appointment today to have it pulled, which at the point i was greatful for..

well I got a temporary solution, i blasted the broken tooth causing all this crap, with my waterpick with ice cold water and listerine, and i nearly peed my pants.. but it stopped hurting, i took a peice of gum, and shoved it in the hole. I ACTUALLY GOT TO SLEEP! this is after 2 days of tears, and pain and depression. but now that it isn't hurting atm ...i'm now suddanly acutely aware of going to the dentist.. now the anxeity is back, because it's a top very back molar.

I have tinnitus as well, and have for many years i'm worried it will make it worse.

Sigh.. I don't know what to do.. cause now my bottem second tooth from the back is hurting (it's been a problem for a while) maybe i'm just noticing it more since I got the top tooth to stop hurting..

:(

Back