• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New here, Terrified!

P

Purplestar85

Hi all,
I am new to this forum but discovered it when searching for advice.
I used to be fine going to the dentist, until 7 years ago. I had a tooth out, and, despite being numbed it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced (I have given birth twice!)
Since then I haven’t been to the dentist, and I desperately need to. I have 2 teeth that are broken (I think beyond repair), An old crown that is causing me pain and needs looking at, constant toothache and a recurring abscess that is occurring more and more regularly! These problems are all at the back of my mouth, so when I smile I look fine, for no! Which is why I need to get this sorted!
The final straw was when my other half told me that my breath is bad a lot and he is worried about me.
I found a local dentist and have an appointment in 2 weeks. It is a surgery that offers work under sedation which I am very keen to know more about. However I am currently 31 weeks pregnant, so I don’t know what can be done until the baby is born!
I cried when I made the appointment yesterday and am already panicking at the thought of even walking through the door!
Any advice gratefully received!

Hi Purplestar85,

sorry to read about your past experience with the extraction. It is a bummer that while you used to be fine with going to the dentist, this experience kept you away for years :(
I do not know which procedures can be done during pregnancy and whether sedation is safe for that, but you might consider asking in the Ask a dentist section..
You will find a lot of input here on the page, beginning from the different fears up to topics as sedation.
I suppose your dental practice knows how scared you are?

Look at you!

Well done for making that call. Such courage!

Whatever they say, you can handle this. We believe in you.

Keep us posted.

Hi and Welcome!
It’s great that you have decided to move forward with getting your teeth sorted out as it can have an impact on your overall health down the road. I am also not sure what can be done while pregnant but it is good to at least establish a relationship with a dental office so that you can get the process started. Think of your upcoming appointment as research or really an interview to find out if you like and trust this office. You will not have to commit to anything right away and it’s likely that nothing can even be carried out until after you have the baby, especially if you opt for sedation. Please let us know how things go.

Really I want to say good job at making this appt despite the fears and anxities with past situations. So glad you taking it up to care for yourself! Its not easy to step out and do this and you are surely brave! I hope you will be met with very kind and compassionate care that can help you sort this all out. Until then you have a great place to come here on DFC to vent and tell your story :)

Hi,

First of all, congratulations on your expected baby. During pregnancy dentists tend not to perform real treatments unless it is urgent (like a tooth ache) which requires immediate treatment.
There are two main considerations when treating a pregnant patient:
1) x rays. Even though x rays are perfectly safe to the baby, dentists prefer not to take them unless really needed. I would ask your former dentists for your x rays, they might spare you taking new ones.
2) keeping the mother calm throughput the dental appointment. This is challenging when anxiety is involved but since your concern is pain, and I am positive you could have a pain free treatment even without sedation, I would aim to finding the dentist who can provide you such treatment.

Regarding the breathe issue: that might be due to the pregnancy, not necessarily the state of your teeth. The pregnancy is causing lots of hormonal and physiological changes, not to mention acid reflux and gum inflammation.

Back