B
Beamish
Member
- Joined
- Aug 1, 2011
- Messages
- 38
- Location
- UK
New member - have size 4 pockets and need to see hygienist, after reassurance please.
Hello,
I'm new and have just been to the dentist for the first time in 5 years today. Last time I had been I'd had a lot of tartar build up and some gum problems. The dentist cleaned my teeth (not hygienist), and after a couple of visits all seemed a lot better.
I stupidly did not keep up the visits (suffer panic attacks a bit and couldn't bring myself to go). The tartar started to build up again so I knew I had to go, and I knew that my gums were a bit red around my lower front teeth (but not as bad as before). The staining of tartar was getting a bit obvious too so I took the plunge and booked an appointment.
The dentist was quite nice but scared me a lot. She poked a little thing into the side of my gum and said I have size 4 (BPE score) pockets, these are below my lower front teeth, and I think the one between my two upper front teeth is deep too. She basically said that it was pretty much the tartar on my lower teeth that is causing them not to wobble. She didn't remove anything and just said that I need at least two trips to the hygienist, I will need a local anaesthetic and it will hurt. She even said I might need further surgery or to save up and see a specialised peridontist
I felt very dizzy and could have passed out when she was telling me this.
I now have the first hygienist appointment booked for next Thursday afternoon and I'm scared. The thought of someone going underneath my gums scares me very much and I can be quite squeamish. I'm really worried that when the tartar is gone my teeth will wobble and fall out. (Though I think it is only the last few months the tartar has build up lots and before then they didn't wobble).
Can anyone who has been in a similar situation give me some advice and reassurance that it won't be that bad and that I'm not going to lose all my teeth?
Thank you very much,
Beamish
Hello,
I'm new and have just been to the dentist for the first time in 5 years today. Last time I had been I'd had a lot of tartar build up and some gum problems. The dentist cleaned my teeth (not hygienist), and after a couple of visits all seemed a lot better.
I stupidly did not keep up the visits (suffer panic attacks a bit and couldn't bring myself to go). The tartar started to build up again so I knew I had to go, and I knew that my gums were a bit red around my lower front teeth (but not as bad as before). The staining of tartar was getting a bit obvious too so I took the plunge and booked an appointment.
The dentist was quite nice but scared me a lot. She poked a little thing into the side of my gum and said I have size 4 (BPE score) pockets, these are below my lower front teeth, and I think the one between my two upper front teeth is deep too. She basically said that it was pretty much the tartar on my lower teeth that is causing them not to wobble. She didn't remove anything and just said that I need at least two trips to the hygienist, I will need a local anaesthetic and it will hurt. She even said I might need further surgery or to save up and see a specialised peridontist
I felt very dizzy and could have passed out when she was telling me this.I now have the first hygienist appointment booked for next Thursday afternoon and I'm scared. The thought of someone going underneath my gums scares me very much and I can be quite squeamish. I'm really worried that when the tartar is gone my teeth will wobble and fall out. (Though I think it is only the last few months the tartar has build up lots and before then they didn't wobble).
Can anyone who has been in a similar situation give me some advice and reassurance that it won't be that bad and that I'm not going to lose all my teeth?
Thank you very much,
Beamish

.
). As you say, the important thing to remember is that you've started on the path to getting your mouth healthy and once you've got a few visits out of the way, things should start to get easier for you.
). For about 6 weeks, I have flossed, brushed and rinsed at least twice a day - every time, looking in the mirror and obsessing about the size of the pockets. When I went to the appointment, after a full examination, I find out that my gum pockets are mostly 1's with a couple of 2's - in other words, normal and no problem.
.
. Your teeth and gums might feel slightly tender for a while as they've had a really thorough clean. If you think your electric toothbrush is a bit too rough, maybe you could swap to using a slightly softer ordinary toothbrush for a while until things settle down?