R
Rabbiteer
Junior member
- Joined
- Jan 19, 2015
- Messages
- 5
- Location
- Colorado
So... I haven't seen a dentist in 13 years.
It all started with a dentist bullying me (screaming in my face for 15 minutes straight) about having my wisdom teeth out. I'd only just found out I had them to begin with (my mom never had any, so I had hopes I'd be as lucky), and he scheduled the surgery the next day without consulting me. This was a few years after a terrifying molar extraction during which I found out Novocaine doesn't work at all on me, which the dentist refused to believe... meaning I had a molar extraction where the tooth had to be cut into pieces and taken out, bit by bit, with no pain medication whatsoever.
Anyway, a few years after the wisdom tooth incident, I noticed the first signs of my teeth eroding. I was a pack-a-day smoker for years, and that, coupled with infrequent brushing and genetically weak teeth (the last thing I didn't know until years later), led to my teeth beginning to erode along the gumline. I was 26 when it began, had my first molar break (more like crumble, really) the following year, and it just progressed from there. By the time I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago, I had 3 broken teeth, and one cracked down the middle. The degeneration has mostly stopped since I quit smoking, but I quit brushing about 3 years ago because it only seemed to bring on abscesses (believe it or not, stopping brushing cut my abscess occurrence to about 5% of what it was when I was brushing).
Of course, they still abscess. Most of my teeth are significantly eroded at the gumline, with one broken below it. On New Year's Eve this year, I woke up with a dull ache in my jaw that, over the next few days, escalated to debilitating jaw and ear pain. I assumed I had an ear infection, or that it was related to TMJ... until I woke up on the fifth day with no pain. Then I tried to eat, and the first bite down nearly made me collapse; one of my broken teeth had abscessed. I went to the ER that night, where they put me on an antibiotic and sent me home. But it didn't get any better. 6 days later, I was back in the ER, and it was even worse. This time, I begged the doctor to prescribe a different antibiotic, so she did so in conjunction with the first. After a few days of the two antibiotics together, I finally started to emerge from the searing pain.
This was a real wake-up call for me in terms of my dental health, as there were several days there during which I was sure the pain would never end. Even countless painkillers barely made a dent. The ER doctor told me I had to have the tooth pulled as soon as possible; the problem is, if I have it pulled, I won't be able to chew. I haven't chewed on the other side in years because there's a cracked molar that abscesses if anything gets into it. Of course, I can't chew on the side with the broken molar, either; I haven't had solid food in over 3 weeks now, and it's really taking its toll. Compounding the knowledge that if I get the tooth pulled, I may not be able to chew for MONTHS is the fact that I'm petrified of seeing a dentist. Not only do I have the bad experiences of the past to dissuade me from seeing one, but I'm afraid that because I'm on Medicaid, they'll tell me all they can do is pull my teeth and give me dentures. I'm 32, single, and already have enough problems on my hands; the last thing I need is false teeth (apologies to anyone for whom dentures were the only option).
I'm just hoping, based on what I've read in threads on here, that someone might be able to give me some insight here. I worry that my teeth are far worse than what most people on here are dealing with; I'm trying to get up the nerve to post a photo, but it would be the first time anyone had seen them in their full "glory". Suffice it to say I'm tired of being told I must have been a methamphetamine addict to have teeth like mine-- people don't understand the effects of nicotine and meth look nearly identical on the teeth, and I've never used meth in my life. I'd love to hear from someone who had horrible problems like mine and was actually able to have them fixed... but maybe that's too much to ask.
It all started with a dentist bullying me (screaming in my face for 15 minutes straight) about having my wisdom teeth out. I'd only just found out I had them to begin with (my mom never had any, so I had hopes I'd be as lucky), and he scheduled the surgery the next day without consulting me. This was a few years after a terrifying molar extraction during which I found out Novocaine doesn't work at all on me, which the dentist refused to believe... meaning I had a molar extraction where the tooth had to be cut into pieces and taken out, bit by bit, with no pain medication whatsoever.
Anyway, a few years after the wisdom tooth incident, I noticed the first signs of my teeth eroding. I was a pack-a-day smoker for years, and that, coupled with infrequent brushing and genetically weak teeth (the last thing I didn't know until years later), led to my teeth beginning to erode along the gumline. I was 26 when it began, had my first molar break (more like crumble, really) the following year, and it just progressed from there. By the time I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago, I had 3 broken teeth, and one cracked down the middle. The degeneration has mostly stopped since I quit smoking, but I quit brushing about 3 years ago because it only seemed to bring on abscesses (believe it or not, stopping brushing cut my abscess occurrence to about 5% of what it was when I was brushing).
Of course, they still abscess. Most of my teeth are significantly eroded at the gumline, with one broken below it. On New Year's Eve this year, I woke up with a dull ache in my jaw that, over the next few days, escalated to debilitating jaw and ear pain. I assumed I had an ear infection, or that it was related to TMJ... until I woke up on the fifth day with no pain. Then I tried to eat, and the first bite down nearly made me collapse; one of my broken teeth had abscessed. I went to the ER that night, where they put me on an antibiotic and sent me home. But it didn't get any better. 6 days later, I was back in the ER, and it was even worse. This time, I begged the doctor to prescribe a different antibiotic, so she did so in conjunction with the first. After a few days of the two antibiotics together, I finally started to emerge from the searing pain.
This was a real wake-up call for me in terms of my dental health, as there were several days there during which I was sure the pain would never end. Even countless painkillers barely made a dent. The ER doctor told me I had to have the tooth pulled as soon as possible; the problem is, if I have it pulled, I won't be able to chew. I haven't chewed on the other side in years because there's a cracked molar that abscesses if anything gets into it. Of course, I can't chew on the side with the broken molar, either; I haven't had solid food in over 3 weeks now, and it's really taking its toll. Compounding the knowledge that if I get the tooth pulled, I may not be able to chew for MONTHS is the fact that I'm petrified of seeing a dentist. Not only do I have the bad experiences of the past to dissuade me from seeing one, but I'm afraid that because I'm on Medicaid, they'll tell me all they can do is pull my teeth and give me dentures. I'm 32, single, and already have enough problems on my hands; the last thing I need is false teeth (apologies to anyone for whom dentures were the only option).
I'm just hoping, based on what I've read in threads on here, that someone might be able to give me some insight here. I worry that my teeth are far worse than what most people on here are dealing with; I'm trying to get up the nerve to post a photo, but it would be the first time anyone had seen them in their full "glory". Suffice it to say I'm tired of being told I must have been a methamphetamine addict to have teeth like mine-- people don't understand the effects of nicotine and meth look nearly identical on the teeth, and I've never used meth in my life. I'd love to hear from someone who had horrible problems like mine and was actually able to have them fixed... but maybe that's too much to ask.