• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New patient fears - very nervous. What happens at first appointment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Max123
  • Start date Start date
Max123,

So sorry that happened -- I think that there would be nothing worse for me than "psyching" myself up for an appt and then having it not happen as planned. I'm not a doctor, but I do know that sometimes dehydration makes it difficult to access a vein. So, prior to the next time you go, you may want to make sure to drink PLENTY of water. In addition, I used to be a regular blood donor and the one time that I had to have GA (not dental related) the nurse had a VERY hard time finding a vein for that. So, I'm not sure the 2 are related. I agree with what Coolin said too -- that you may want to ask if the dentist (or your GP) is able to give you something (some sort of benzodiazepine) to take prior to to procedure so that you are not so anxious before the appt -- just know that you will have to have someone drive you to the appt b/c it is not recommended to drive while taking these medications.

Best of luck to you!!!
 
Thank you to everybody for their amazing replies, I feel like I've got a little family on here! :)

Also, sorry for my delay in replying - I've started a Masters degree and it takes a LOT of my time up!

So, the latest update is.......da da dah........ I'm all sorted!!;D

Firstly, for the molar extractions, I had them removed at the hospital last year. They took three out. The dentist and his team were surely ANGELS from heaven. I must have lay in that chair an hour before I allowed him to insert the IV. It felt exactly the same as it does when I donate blood and I must admit I loved the fact that I felt drunk at 10am on a school day! The needle in my gum did hurt, a lot, but only for a few seconds. Next thing I knew I was sitting in the car ready to go home! I'm sure it took him less than 60 seconds to do the extractions. The rest of the day, I felt slightly hungover and sleepy and (for once!!) husband had to do some housework! I took some paracetamol later in the evening and slept like a baby. I didn't have any pain and I followed the aftercare instructions to the letter so I avoided infections, dry socket etc.

Secondly, the two front teeth.....well after the traumatic event at the dentist, he ended up referring me to a sedation clinic, not the hospital. After my initial consult, I returned and the aneasthetist managed to get the IV in without any issues. Although he wasn't as 'friendly' as the hospital staff, he did succeed in the task and his dentist colleague's friendly attitude made up for this. The dentist then gave me a temporary crown and took imprints. I returned a week later and got one filling and one crown. The only negative I experienced from this clinic was that as soon as I was sedated, the aneasthetist placed a blindfold over my eyes?? This was done without warning - is this an 'old school' method of dealing with nervous patients?? Fortunately, I am not afraid of the dark and my issues stem from things in my mouth, not the dark. Also the female nurse was holding my hand throughout and I could hear voices. I think if she would have let go of my hand or the room was silent/male voices I would have freaked. I asked them not to use the blindfold on future occasions and that they should warn patients beforehand as there may be people who have experienced dark-related trauma. Oh, another thing is that I had a lisp for a few weeks after surgery, which I wasn't warned about. But out of the many after affects I could have had, a lisp is nothing!

BUT..... overall, I am very happy with my experiences and I can't help wondering why I avoided it so long! I still have some issues to overcome, but I feel relatively safe in this new environment and I trust the dental team. Plus I always have somebody with me which makes a huge difference! Of course the fear has not totally gone but I am tackling it one small step at a time.

For anybody else wondering whether to visit a dentist, I would advise them to go for it (no matter how small those initial steps are!)! For the increase in confidence, self esteem, achievement and health - these factors (for me) far outweigh the scary aspects of seeing a dentist.

Thanks again to everybody for their replies and I hope my post is not too much of an essay!:jump:
 
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you got on. Congratulations :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:
on getting the treatment you needed. From now on things should be little jobs as you will keep up with your appointments now.

I am so happy for you, well done :yayy::wow::wow::victory::victory::victory::perfect: Glad things worked out for you.
 
Back
Top