• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New, worried, some questions, wanted to share my experience..Sorry bit long!

Re: New, worried, some questions, wanted to share my experience..Sorry bit long!

Know what you mean about money....getting mine fixed is costing a fortune!! Although dentistry in US does seem to be VERY expensive even compared to private in the UK. I never like taking money from my parents either, just keep saving and you will get there!

Wow!! I have never heard of anyone being that relaxed at the dentist!! I can't imagine it! My dentist says the fear will probably never go away for me but he says it will get easier for me with time. I know for certain that I am never going to let the fear get so strong that it stops me going again though. I am sure you will find it easier with time too.

Re: New, worried, some questions, wanted to share my experience..Sorry bit long!

Yep, I know I can't just quit again and not show up for a few more years. And unfortunately while the place I live is absolutely beautiful, it is also an expensive ski resort town, so while there are very good dentists up here, they are also somewhat to very very expensive. But I've been told by almost everybody in my office to go to the guy they see, so I'll try him next. Apparently he's not as expensive and does good work.

I honestly don't know how anybody could fall asleep while having their teeth worked on even if they aren't scared. I mean there's noises and stuff from right in your mouth! I don't want to get to where I'm anything like that relaxed, I like knowing what is going on. I'm one of the "talk me through and tell me what you're doing" people as opposed to the "I don't want to know just get it done!" types.

I am one of those too. To the point that I actually cover my mouth or move out the way and say "what are you doing" when he hasn't told me. I am a bit of a nightmare patient I think! I think he is slightly amused by me.

Glad you have had a cheaper one suggested to you, hope it goes well.

If I know what's happening I'm not as nervous. For some people it's the opposite, I know, but in my little world ( ;D ) knowledge is power.

I am one of those too. To the point that I actually cover my mouth or move out the way and say "what are you doing" when he hasn't told me. I am a bit of a nightmare patient I think! I think he is slightly amused by me.

Glad you have had a cheaper one suggested to you, hope it goes well.

Yes, I'm the same way. I know for some people it might come off as demanding and I'm certainly not acting this say to try and trip up the dentist, but I feel better when I know what's going on...well, instead of the word 'better' I should have used 'safer'.

Hey Distant Star - Knowledge is power indeed! For me it is about control...a thing that plagues nearly every part of my life....just can't bear to lose control over most things. Something I am trying to work on! You all must be pitying my other half!! Really,not that bad with him....I don't think! :devilish:

Hey Odette, didn't notice your post til now, I am not trying to trip the dentist up or anything like that either, for me it's something I just can't stop myself from doing!! Its an instinctive reaction that I don't even think about but I do always feel bad about doing it afterwards, the dentist has never told me off for it though which always surprises me. He is always very nice and coaxes me to sit back or take my hands away!! It is something I need to stop though as I am sure it is slightly annoying and unnerving for them!!

Hey Odette, didn't notice your post til now, I am not trying to trip the dentist up or anything like that either, for me it's something I just can't stop myself from doing!! Its an instinctive reaction that I don't even think about but I do always feel bad about doing it afterwards, the dentist has never told me off for it though which always surprises me. He is always very nice and coaxes me to sit back or take my hands away!! It is something I need to stop though as I am sure it is slightly annoying and unnerving for them!!

oh of course!!! i know it's instinctual for me, too. it's either my hands or i'll unconsciously try and shift or pull my body away from the dentist, even if it means trying to push myself further into the chair.

Hi, Fatcat~

When do you go back for your second extraction? I'd read through and didn't see where you'd posted a date. If you did and I missed it, I apologize!

Sorry to be nosy, just trying to keep track of you after what you've been through to date. You've done a great job of overcoming your fear, and I hope you'll be done with your treatment soon.

:grouphug:

Hello Cielo!

It's fine, don't think you are being nosy! Thank you for your kind words, I am getting there slowly though don't ever think this whole dentist thing will be easy for me....I have too much of an anxiety issue in general.

I should only have this extraction and some fillings (at same time) then a couple of cleanings and be back to normal check ups (not sure how frequent but I guess every 6 months seeing as I am private not NHS).

It is supposed to be a week on Monday but I am gonna have to cancel due to work, didn't think that this is one of our busiest times in my hurry to et out of there!!!! .....haven't called to rearrange yet....yes I am putting it off!!! :redface:

Hope all is well with you and your new (ish) teeth!!

Thanks, Fatcat. Today is a "good" day so far with the teeth. (But even the not-so-good days are better than what I put up with pre-dentures!)

Do not say you're "canceling" your appointment. You're merely "rescheduling." ;) Hopefully they can accomodate you with a new date that's not too far off in the future. I hate it when that happens!

Let us know when the new date is, okay?

As an aside, we have a huge Ragdoll cat whose real name is Asia, but we call him "Fatcat." he weighs around 20lbs or so, so he's earned the nickname. :giggle:

Glad it is a good day! I feel the same in way, since starting to get things fixed, but in general about life....things don't get me down as much and aren't such a big deal because I don't have this big teeth worry over my head!

Ok, I am rescheduling it then! And I will let you know when the new date is (ugh).

A ragdoll! They are cute! I have a British Short Hair, she was a rescue cat who was mistreated in her old life and is a very timid little thing with strangers but lovely with me. Very spoilt, she is like a child to me, my family say she landed on her feet when she came to live with me! She is also overweight, hence the username!

Aww, kitties! I have a blue-point Siamese overlady. She took one look at me at the shelter and said, "There you are! Take me home, human!" So I did. It's been nearly a year, we're doing great. I love my kitty.

I had to reschedule my extraction due to money issues. Much more positive a word to use than cancelling it, though technically I did cancel, not knowing exactly when I'd be able to reschedule it for; I didn't get that sorted for a couple of weeks. I ended up going in a month later.

They are great aren't they! Great company when others aren't around and as long as you feed them they love you!! What is an overlady?

I'm oing to call tomorrow to rearrange mine, my dentist often has a bit of a wait though, kinda strangely hope it's not too long. Wouldn't have been saying that back then when I started this journey!!!

British Shorthairs are so pretty, and have great personalities.

I hope you get an appointment not too far in the future. It's nice to get to the point of looking forward to having it over with, isn't it? :)

Yes it is nice! A weight off my shoulders!

So, as Cielo requested I am posting with my rescheduled appointment....Its going to be 2nd Nov! Seems so far away but it as my dentist only does private work on a monday it was the first one that was suitable to me and the dentist. On the plus side it will mean that all my work will be over by Christmas and I can look forward to a new year with all this behind me!! Hopefully I will be able to fit the 2 cleanings in before Christmas but if not the major stuff will be done. I would have never have imagined that I would be in that position last Christmas!!

I'm sure I will be posting in a panic before the appointment!!

That IS a while to wait.

But... You HAVE an appointment! :jump:

Post away as needed. We'll post right back atcha. :p

Thank you Cielo! Its great to have people around who understand and know what to say!

My boyfriend and family are good and try to help but they either find it slightly amusing/embarrassing (my odd behaviour at the dentist in particular) or are shocked by me saying things like I might have a heart attack in the chair!! In their rational minds they can't figure out why I would think that would happen....of course it wouldn't but you don't think like that in the middle of a panic!! I do have a sister with probably a worse dental phobia than me though so she gets it but she sometimes goes all therapist on me which is weird.

It's always hard to express your fears to non-phobes. Even the most understanding of them won't get the intensity of the fear. If you're like me, you give up trying to explain and muddle through alone.

At least that's how I felt until I found this forum! :)

I've got a therapist-wannabe sister, too. I know how fun that is. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I can't forget my dear mother. She went to my dentist to get her denture repaired and swears up and down that he tried to hit on her. She's 71 years old and he told her she "looks good for her age." She took that as a come-on and no amount of explanation on my part will assure her that he's just like that... he tries to find something complimentary to say to be polite. He always tells my daughter she has beautiful skin, but he definitely isn't hitting on her! LOL

Sorry to get off track, but I do understand the problems with friends and family members that don't happen to share our fears.

Hahaha! That story about your mum is so funny!!! I hope that when I reach her age I still have the confidence to think men are hitting on me...true or not! :ROFLMAO:

So 2nd Nov is nearly here, the date of my second extraction and some more fillings...and I am starting to get terrified!!! God only knows what state I will be in on Monday. :scared:

I think it's cos I have such a wait since my last appointment, I'm kinda out of practice I think. I actually feel like not going but it is the last treatment appointment from my plan. I think I am scared the dentist is going to find more things that need doing so just want to avoid the situation and go back to burrying my head in the sand....I know I shouldn't, I have to go, not sure I can do it though. Just needed to get my feelings out I guess. I hate this stupid fear. :cry:

Back