• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New, worried, some questions, wanted to share my experience..Sorry bit long!

Re: New, worried, some questions, wanted to share my experience..Sorry bit long!

Hey fatcat! You can do this! Think of all the support you gave me in my journal and I am here to do the same for you. :)
I think it is so true what you said. The time between appointments does really cause the fear to return because that is exactly how I felt just going for my cleaning last week.

I know you can get thru this!!! The even better news is it is the LAST appointment on your treatment plan. That alone is a reason to celebrate!

You can do this!!!

Re: New, worried, some questions, wanted to share my experience..Sorry bit long!

Thanks Olivacs!

Feel even worse as the days go on. I am trying not to think about it but it keeps hitting me and I get that awful feeling in my chest and feel sick!

I will drag myself there, I have to, I would be too disappointed in myself if I didn't. I have convinced myself he will find more things to do, I don't want anymore things doing, not yet anyway. I'm also worried because last time it wasn't plain sailing, I got an infection/dry socket and was very uncomfortable. I don't want that to happen again. I always think of the bad things that might happen, I need to stop and concentrate on the good things, like having a healthy mouth at last! It's just hard though.

I say it's the last part of my treatment, I actually have 2 cleanings to go yet but for some reason I am not counting them as part of the treatment....maybe because they don't sound as bad as fillings and stuff but to be honest I don't even know what they will involve. I think I have to see a hygeinist for them but I am worried in case they are horrible....I might ask if my dentist can do it because I at least have some trust with him, he deals with my stupid behaviour well, I don't know if she will.

Am getting upset just writing this. Feel so stupid, people go through much worse than this.

Aw..Fatcat, you sound so much like me!!
I always think of the worst and hope for the best. I know you can do this and I know you will be ok. Try to think of the positives as hard as it is but before you know it, you will all be done.

I always tell myself that just when I think I have it bad there is someone else out there with something else going on worse in their lives.
I have been told by many that we are only given what we can handle in life and nothing more.
You can do this and will be happy when you are done!

Hugs to you

You are so right. I am trying my hardest to think of the good things and the reasons why I am doing it and I so want to be able to go in there tomorrow and not cry or act like a loon. I know my dentist is a good dentist but I just can't get to that stage of properly trusting him (I trust him a bit). I feel ok about it at the mo, not sure how long it will last! Its been a bit of a rollercoaster today, lots of nerves, googling (sometimes I wish google was never invented...no good for the obsessive anxious!) etc etc mixed in with feeling ok about it. Spoke to my boyfriend earlier and he said it's only the dentist, don't understand the problem! :rolleyes: Yes, to him maybe. I didn't even bother really getting into it, just said yes but people feel differently about things don't they. Maybe one day I will be able to say its only the dentist! Maybe...

Ugh, wish me luck for tomorrow guys! I will come back and post once I am done to let you all know how things went.
Hopefully I will be doing this :yay:

Good luck fatcat!!! I'm sure you will have great success..

I did it and I didn't act like a mad woman either! I actually did really well, was petrified but managed to keep myself under control. Feels ok so far but I can still taste blood and think my tongue is resting on the extraction site, paranoid that it is going to dislodge the clot. Also I am absolutely dying to smoke.......must distract myself!!

Bonus is that I only need 1 cleaning as my gums have improved a lot.

So I have the cleaning in Feb (can you believe that is the first appointment!) and I don't have to go back to the dentist for 6 months for my check up!!!

At the start of this year I would never have thought I would have had my teeth fixed and managed to act almost normally at the dentists!!

Awe! good luck!!! just remember that most dentists are heroes! they are there to help! as evil as we think they may be they are really angels!

Wonderful news fatcat!!!!

See it goes to show us that the things we worry about most never required any worry to begin with when all is said and done...

Great job!

Thanks!

Yes, if only we could remember that when the fear hits.

I am currently worrying about dry sockets....a lot. In fact I have spent most of the day driving myself more crazy by googling about it!! I wish the dentist called you back a few days after to check how things are going.

Back