• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Newbie! And advice on extractions and sedation needed please!

P

Popsicle

Hi all

I'm so glad I found this forum, and completely by accident too!

Basically, I haven't had a dentist for the ast 8 years so need a fair bit of work done. At the moment, I have a huge hole in one of my molars which I think will need to be taken out or have root canal done on it. Th last time I had an extraction was about 4 years ago, the dentist had real trouble getting my tooth out, was pulling at t for about an hour before it came out, then I got a bad infection in it. I was pregnant at the time so couldn't have proper anti-bs or any pankillers (apart from paracetomol) so was in a decent amount of pain for over 3 weeks.

I was already a nervous patient but because of my last experience, I'm terrifed, sweating just writing this.

I was wondering if I can ask to be sedated, even if it means waiting for another appointment or going to the hospital. If the dentist says that it needs taken out, am I within my rights to say that I'm terrified and request sedation or can they jus say no to me??

I should also say that the appt I will be attending will be a emergency appt and not with a dentist that I know. I live in Scotland too, not sure if this makes any difference.

Looking forward to any repiles which can clarify the situation for me :)

Karen

You can of course request that the tooth not be taken out on the spot and you can be referred for sedation. Bear in mind that waiting times for sedation can be quite long. 12 months in parts of Ayrshire where I work. It should be possible to at least get you out of pain just now while you're waiting for a sedation appointment.

Hi all

I'm so glad I found this forum, and completely by accident too!

Basically, I haven't had a dentist for the ast 8 years so need a fair bit of work done. At the moment, I have a huge hole in one of my molars which I think will need to be taken out or have root canal done on it. Th last time I had an extraction was about 4 years ago, the dentist had real trouble getting my tooth out, was pulling at t for about an hour before it came out, then I got a bad infection in it. I was pregnant at the time so couldn't have proper anti-bs or any pankillers (apart from paracetomol) so was in a decent amount of pain for over 3 weeks.

I was already a nervous patient but because of my last experience, I'm terrifed, sweating just writing this.

I was wondering if I can ask to be sedated, even if it means waiting for another appointment or going to the hospital. If the dentist says that it needs taken out, am I within my rights to say that I'm terrified and request sedation or can they jus say no to me??

I should also say that the appt I will be attending will be a emergency appt and not with a dentist that I know. I live in Scotland too, not sure if this makes any difference.

Looking forward to any repiles which can clarify the situation for me :)

Karen

Where I live in Hampshire, I had to wait six weeks for a IV sedation appointment.

IV really is the only way to have teeth out. Its fantastic and done wonders for me and my dental confidence.

Thank you both! Well, just found out I have got a place at my local dentist yesterday so am quite pleased about that. Got an appt for an examination on Monday so will discuss it with them then and hopefully, be referred for some sort pf sedation for the extraction. Thank you so much for your advice, you've give me the confidence to ask for it instead of just going along with what they say and being silently petrified! Everyone else seems to think I'm just being silly and should just get on with it.

Thank you both! Well, just found out I have got a place at my local dentist yesterday so am quite pleased about that. Got an appt for an examination on Monday so will discuss it with them then and hopefully, be referred for some sort pf sedation for the extraction. Thank you so much for your advice, you've give me the confidence to ask for it instead of just going along with what they say and being silently petrified! Everyone else seems to think I'm just being silly and should just get on with it.

If your dentist could guarantee that the extraction would be painfree including the administration of the local anaesthetic, would you still want sedation do you think? What about oral sedation as an alternative so you don't have to wait for ages?

We have highly recommended private dentists such as Mike Gow in Scotland on the dentistfinder who do i/v sedation or whatever technique you want pretty much in his case. I personally wouldn't want to sit on a long waiting list potentially in pain for i/v sedation for a single extraction when there are probably other options such as oral sedation.

Good luck in whatever you decide.:grouphug:

I am wondering how well oral sedation works if anyone can tell me....the dentist I am going to use to remove 4 front teeth says he will give me Ativan and Nitrous Gas will this combination work so I will not remember this experience????

Tb be honest, I'm not really sure what my options are. I'd consider anything that will relax me, just so I'm not sitting in the chair with sweat pouring down my face and shaking. Is gas and air an option? I'd consider that as well as some type of tablet but would also be interested in hearing of any experience folks have with them??

Popsicle...You sound like me....LOL I am really trying to think positive about this upcomming treatment. I told the receptionist at the Dental Office to "sign me up" for everything they can offer to help me with the idea of having this done. The only down side to the ativan is that someone has to go with you to the appointment.....but that can be handled.

I think I also read on here where someone was in and out in about 25 minutes so that is also good. Drug me and get it done quick.....Hope all goes well with you.....:)

Of all the things to get nervous about too, eh?? I'v had 4 babies but still having nightmares about the dentist! Well, I'll find out everything that needs done on Monday, hope t's not too much and hope they're sympathetic to my anxiety. Good luck to you too!

There's lots of info on the pros and cons of different types of sedation here:

Thank you, been a great help :)

Just wanted to update about my dental examination today, luckily I only need a few fillings, not ideal but so glad I don't need that tooth out. Xray showed the hole is quite big but shallow so a filling should be fine, phew!! Treatment starts next Tuesday and am feeling quite positive (just now, lol!)