• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

newbie with severe gum disease- terrified!

I hardly had any plaque build-up, well I did but it was all under the gumline! So the effect of cleaning has just been that my gums have receded back, to where the bone is I guess, it looks a bit scary with all the big gaps between my teeth. The dentist took loads of photos when I first went and tried to show me the other day but I didn't want to see massive close-ups of my gappy gnashers!
So do your teeth all look much nicer now then?
x

Hi skymonkey,
My teeth look better but not great by any means. I think my whole problem is the condition of my gums which caused me tooth to look all crazy..LOL

I'm with you, not sure if I'd want to see all the pictures the dentist took. My dentist always puts my xrays on this large scrren when I am in there to see where she is working and what needs work. I swear I avoid at all costs looking at those xrays.

Are you sure your gums have receded or are they just going back to be where they should be and maybe you just aren't used to it?

hi skymonkey - I'm ok thanks for asking, the hardest thing is waiting. Now I've come to terms with having teeth out and a partial I want it done asap...it's like being in limbo in a way. I hope your treatment helps, I'm finding the private treatment a lot different to nhs. I was having deep cleaning every 3 months on the nhs a few years back but it was only very basic care and not hospital treatment like you have had. Also they wouldn't consider giving me a partial or doing anything cosmetic at all, they said they would 'just keep your teeth in your head as long as possible'. Yeah thanks. But this new dentist we have appointments just to discuss, he's said there is lots he can do and that it will all be a joint decision that we've talked over and that I'm happy with. I guess it's just a question of funding. Also if you do ever have any kind of denture I've read that the nhs will only do the very cheapest standard kind...I'd definitely go private. I'm saying all this like I can afford it...it's going to be a struggle financially but I got to the point I couldn't continue as I was!

Olivacs thanks, the main thing for me is it won't be obvious. does it take a long time for the gums to heal underneath?

thanks for being here :)

Hi Poppy36:

As for the partial are you getting what they call an immediate one where as soon as they extract your teeth that will be placed? If so, the immediate partial will help the gums heal faster and help form the ridge to hold your partial in place. As for me, I had such bone loss in the area where I had my extractions, they had to do a bone graft too. The dentist told me wear the partial all the time and the oral surgeon said wear it only when i needed to for sake of the partial not resting on the bone graft. Well just found out last week the gums healed well but the bone graft looks like it may need to be redone in one area. I am hoping that is proven otherwise so I do not have to go thru that again. When will you be going back to the dentist?

Skymonkey:
Hope you are doing well!

Thank you both for being here it means sooooooo much!

I think I will be getting an immediate partial....there is no way I'm walking out of there with front teeth missing so it's either immediate or they're not coming out :rolleyes: Just bouncing off walls at the moment as it's my first deep clean this afternoon - 30 minutes of it. Normally such a short space of time but today 30 mins sounds like a very long time!

Olivacs hope it works out for you and you don't need any more work done re the bone graft. hugs xx

Poppy36:
I agree with you all the way! There was no way I was walking out of there with front teeth missing either...and all worked out ok and I walked out with teeth. Just make sure you stress that to the dentist when the time comes

Best of luck on your deep cleaning! Just got thru with that a few weeks ago and it was not as bad as i anticipated.

Thanks :) Apart from me totally messing up and not getting the right appointment time it all went fine...I was so scared but my dentist and the hygienist are so lovely, I've come out the other side full of myself and very happy. I had local injections first where the dentist was so kind, put numbing gel on first then did the injections, and said after every one 'you're doing so well, well done'. Then it was to the hygienist (his wife I think) who put me totally at ease, and was just brilliant. It was a whole new experience for me, my nhs dentist was so derogatory and critical. I was scheduled for a 30 min appt but it only took 20, probably since the onset of all this I've been cleaning and flossing religiously, which has not always been the case. I thought I'd have to pay extra for the anaesthetic and appt with dentist before the hygienist, but was happily surprised when the bill was only £27.50 for the basic 20 min hygiene appointment. She asked me if I'd been using mouthwash, which I have, I've been using Corsodyl, but apparently all kinds of mouthwash cause staining of the teeth, I had no idea about that. I wish I had gone to this dentist years ago.

So now I go back on Monday for a review and to see what happens next. Sorry for waffling on....she did say I had pockets in the back teeth and I have to go back every 3 months for a deep clean, which, after today, is fine with me. The front ones are a lost cause, but I have come to terms with that. I just want to have big smiles again.

Having a glass of wine now. :sleepyjuice:

Hi Poppy36,
So glad you got through the clean ok, you sound so chilled, wish I was somewhere near that state! Your dentist sounds lovely. I'm still debating when to go to a private periodontist. I guess I'll want until my review next month and see what the NHS verdict is first.
Just out of interest what are the fees for your dentist? And are there any particular products that they have recommended you for cleaning your teeth, or other tips for homecare? I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment, really want to do everything I can to help my teeth and gums but either feel like I'm brushing too much or not enough, using the wrong toothpaste or mouthwash. I've totally lost confidence in my judgement allowing this disease to creep up on me!
Anyway, well done you, hope you enjoyed that well deserved glass of wine, and thanks for being so positive, hopefully you'll inspire me!
x

I second what skymonkey said!

Poppy36 you are so calm and laid back and I wish I could be as calm as you and not a frantic mess all of the time.

Enjoy your glass of wine! LOL

Thank you I did :cheers: I'm having the denture impressions done next week and an acrylic partial denture....I'm quite worried about how it's attached and whether it will show but my dentist has assured me nobody will be able to tell, so I'm just trusting that.

Sky, I have just had the quote for the work through the post this morning. I'm having four teeth out which will cost £31.00, and the partial denture will be £220.00. For other stuff an examination is £19, x-ray was £20 for 4, and my hygienist appointments are £27.50 each. I am very very happy after getting the quote I thought it was going to cost a lot more than that...and the extractions and denture will be in 5-6 weeks time giving me plenty of time to save :)

For homecare and cleaning my hygienist did say that corsodyl was too strong for every day use and to try corsodyl daily, but warned me that it could cause staining but it is probably better to use it. And the dentist has said by far the best toothpaste to use is good old colgate. My husband got me an oral-b electric toothbrush and it is wonderful. there is a remote sensor thing and separate display panel which is stuck on the tiles by the sink, it tells you the exact time to brush for and also if you are putting too much pressure on. So I use that and then floss afterwards, I must say it gives me the confidence to know I've brushed correctly and for the right amount of time. Hope this helps some. xx

Poppy36,
Just wanted to let you know I have an acrylic partial denture...like you will be getting. Will it be on the top or bottom? I have mine on the bottom and it has two metal clasps that hook onto your other teet...one on each side of it. It's not too bad but it can be annoying sometimes. Its hard to eat crunchy foods with it but for softer foods its perfect. I have had mine relined once already and need it done again because the one metal clasp is digging into my gums (ouch).

Good luck with all the work and stay strong!

Thanks Olivacs. It will be on top, 4 front teeth. My dentist did say it would take a bit of getting used to which I'm sure it will, I've looked up pictures and the metal clasps don't look the most comfortable thing I've ever seen. How do you clean it and is it easy to take in and out? I intend to leave mine in all the time except for cleaning. xx

The metal clasps are not the most comfortable thing. As I write this one of them is digging into my gums and it hurts so I know I need an adjustment. I will wait until Thursday and have them do it. It is easy to take in and out but they do recommend that you leave it out at night so your gums can rest.
As for cleaning they told me to brush it like I would my own teeth and then to soak it in listerine. I am learning though that other dentists would rather you soak it in a mild detergent or diluted bleach.

They do look like your real teeth though so that is a big plus!

Hello! Your back and forth chat has helped me immensely. I'm also in my 30's (late 30's) and haven't been to the dentist for regular checkups in a ridiculous amount of time. I've had a couple of broken wisdom teeth removed, and another broken back tooth fixed, a clean once but other then that nothing.

I'm about to head off to get a tooth filled, and have decided that this is the year that I will overcome my fears, and not be controlled by them. The filling is nothing, I'm more worried about the deep clean that I know will be advised. I know last time my teeth were cleaned I had big gaps between the bottom ones, and a couple of smaller gaps at the top - when I talked saliva would blow through at times!!!

Reading the treatment you guys have been having and how you're still positive is a wonderful help! Thanks for sharing everything.

Hi Poiison...
Thanks for reading..wishing you the best of luck!

Thank you!
I've been so scared to get my teeth looked at, mostly because of the fear of 'what might happen'.. what I'm going to need to get done and not being able to afford it. But I know I can't put it off any longer or it will just be even worse.

Even though I know fake teeth look amazing these days, I'm still freaked out.
I know there is gum disease and I guess I'll find out next week how far it has progressed and whether I need to lose some teeth or not. The gums are so low behind my bottom front teeth - I just can't see it going well. :(

I remember being in your same position when I first started. It can be really scary but it's because of the unknown. I have a journal on here..check it out if you haven't yet. You can read all of the emotions I went through, all of the treatment etc., but most importantly I survived.
You will be better off than you think..trust me..The worst is the first appointment and after that it does get easier.

Hi I noticed this thread is a few years old now can you tell me how your problems progressed and what treatment you had? I have just been diagnosed at 30 and I'm terrified