• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nhs Iv Sedation Referal Waiting Times..!!

L

laura..01

Hello..

I Am Just Wondering How Long A Nhs Urgent Referal Is For Iv Sedation.. I Was Refered Once Before But Unfortunately The Refering Dentist Did Not Put The Right Things I Needed Done So I Only Had One Tooth Extracted.. I Have Been So Upset Because I Thought All This Would Of Been Over Last Monday.. But Now I Need To Go Back For Two More Extractions & An Extraction Of A Chip Of A Tooth That Is Mostly Roots & Not Tooth.. :/
I Have Tried To Work Up The Courage To Get This Done Without Sedation But I Can't Manage It.. I Need It Sorted Though As I Really Do Not Want To Be Dosed Up On Painkillers While Looking After My Little Girl..!!

Laura..x

It varies a lot between different areas, it would be best to phone the sedation clinic you've been referred to and ask them. Also if you can attend at short notice (might be tricky with childcare arrangements) then tell them, we often get cancellations at short notice and it's handy to have a list of people we can call in to fill these, otherwise the treatment slot is wasted.

Hello..

Thankyou For Your Reply.. I Have Been Quite Upset That I Have To Re-Refered Due To The Dentists Cock Up.. Especially Seeing As Though I Went In Inbetween Referal & Appointment.. :/
I Hope It Can Get Sorted Asap..!!

Laura..x

I got an appointment within a month and then my sedation was booked 10 days after the appointment aka as this Saturday but I was told this is quite fast, for my area anyway.

The first time I had Sedation was an NHS referral to a private clinic.

I am in the Portsmouth Area and I had to wait six weeks before they called me to make an appointment, which was for another four weeks when I had it done.

The second time I had sedation, I went private and was in three days later.

Hello..

Thanks For The Replies.. :)
I Was Just Wondering How Much Private Sedation Can Be And Have You Got To Go With What The Private Dentist Says.. Also Does It Work As Well As The Nhs Does Graham..??
They Said They Were Going To Do A Urgent Referal For Me.. Guna Find Out On Monday How Long It Will Take & If Its Awhile I Might Go Private Because I Need & Want Sedation..!!

Laura..x

It cost me £252.30, which was the IV and a simple extraction.

My private sedation was a far deeper sedation than the NHS one, I could still feel it about 8 hours afterwards.

You don't have to go with what anyone says. If a dentist doesn't do what you want, find another. If my private dentist thought giving me an IV was 'too much trouble', I'd be off!!

As you'v[SIZE=-1]e probably gu[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ess[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ed from th[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]e abov[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]e, th[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]e conc[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ept of "urg[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ent" do[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]esn't r[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]eally [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]exist in NHS d[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ental r[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ef[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]errals. Ind[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]e[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ed you could argu[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]e that it do[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]esn't hav[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]e much curr[/SIZE]ency[SIZE=-1] in th[/SIZE]e[SIZE=-1] 9-5 [/SIZE]w[SIZE=-1]orld of NHS d[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]entistry, full stop - but that's anoth[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]er story. But sinc[/SIZE]e[SIZE=-1] lik[/SIZE]e many of us you are stuck with it, [SIZE=-1]Job-lik[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]e pati[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]enc[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]e is a d[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]efinit[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]e ass[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]et.:devilish:

John
[/SIZE]

I saw my dentist for a checkup late July last year and was referred there and then but was told I would probably have to wait for upto 3 months.
I eventually got the appointment for the 21st September, which was delayed by a week as the anaesthatist had a car accident so I had it the 28th instead. That was a long week let me tell you!
I live in West Sussex but had to goto a clinic a 45 min drive away as there was nowhere closer that did IV. However, it was definately worth it.

One other point I should add is the general standard of private patient care is far superiour. The guy I go to takes his time, its all relaxed and unhurried and tries his best to put me at my ease (which is never easy :) )

When I had my NHS one, it was very hurried and conveyor-belt rushed with no chit-chat or anything. Sit down, point to tooth, sign paper, roll up sleeve, in canula, squirt and bye-byes.
May seem trivial, but when you are a nervous shaking wreck, little things like that count.

An NHS sedation consists of a single drug, the private one is a mix of three. (I was already gone by the time the second one went in!!) Its a far deeper sedation than the NHS one, I could still feel it about 8 hours afterwards.

Just wanted to add that a private sedation could also be a single drug, this will depend on the preference of the person doing the sedation. In the USA the cocktail of drugs seems to be more commonplace.

One other point I should add is the general standard of private patient care is far superiour. The guy I go to takes his time, its all relaxed and unhurried and tries his best to put me at my ease (which is never easy :) )

When I had my NHS one, it was very hurried and conveyor-belt rushed with no chit-chat or anything. Sit down, point to tooth, sign paper, roll up sleeve, in canula, squirt and bye-byes.
May seem trivial, but when you are a nervous shaking wreck, little things like that count.
eeek :(

Hello Everyone..

After Reading All Your Comments I Am Going To Find Out On When My Next 'Urgent' Appointment Will Be..
After This I Will Decide Whether To Wait Or Go Private.. To Be Honest I Really Don't Want To Starve Myself For However Long.. :/
We Will See Anyway.. Will Post Back When I Know.. Thankyou Everyone..

Laura..x

I would like to add that it was still a good experiance and that was my personal experiance of it, which will probably not be the same as someone else's.

I would like to add that it was still a good experiance and that was my personal experiance of it, which will probably not be the same as someone else's.

true :)

I have to say that I will NEVER go back to an NHS dentist (sorry if there are good ones on this forum), but my experiences have been so horrific I know I could never do it.

I have to say that I will NEVER go back to an NHS dentist (sorry if there are good ones on this forum), but my experiences have been so horrific I know I could never do it.

what happened?