• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not entirely sure what I have... (TMD, Bruxism etc...)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter thinkyt
  • Start date Start date
Vicki,
when I ask my dentist questions he just shakes his head and says I'm a mystery. Even the endo doesn't seem to know why I'm having such problems, but she suggests it's neuropathic pain signals that are signalling in the wrong way. Sometimes I think they believe I'm imagining the pain. Hopefully when I see the oral surgeon next week I might get some help and answers.
Btw I noticed you like Derren Brown. I went to see him in London in June 2013. He was brilliant, very charismatic and likeable.
 
when I ask my dentist questions he just shakes his head and says I'm a mystery.

I know the feeling; I had years of that at the practice I used to go to. The thing is, it's not very helpful when you're in pain and you just want it all to go away. Instead of saying that they didn't know but that they would find out or would refer me to someone who could help, most of the dentists that I saw would shake their head and say "I dunno" or they would treat me as though it was all in my head.

The thing is though, after having root canal treatment on the molars which were the most painful, the horrendous pain has stopped, so it can't have all been in my head can it? If I'm clenching my teeth, then there's possibly some psychological aspect to that, but the splint that I'm wearing at night has given me partial relief from the symptoms of that as well.

I would persevere with the mouth guard you've got and if it's still too tight or not comfortable, then ask your dentist to adjust it - it might take a few attempts before it's right for you.

Have you seen a neurologist? If it's some sort of nerve pain, a neurologist might be able to give you better advice. Also, the oral surgeon you're seeing next week should be able to tell you whether you actually do have TMJ problems or not.

Failing that, you could always go and see another dentist for a second opinion, especially as they all have different levels of experience and interests and so it might be that somebody else might be better placed to help you.
Btw I noticed you like Derren Brown. I went to see him in London in June 2013. He was brilliant, very charismatic and likeable.

I think Derren is brilliant ;D. I saw Infamous in Bradford in 2013 and before that I saw Svengali in 2011 and Enigma in 2010. He actually used to go to the stage door after most shows and sign autographs and pose for photos, but he has a lot of problems with his voice when he's on tour and so he doesn't do it any more which is a real shame (think it might be doctor's orders though). I have all of his books and so I took one of them with me to get an autograph after the Enigma show in 2010. We spent ages waiting at the stage door until eventually it opened and there he was, asking everyone to form a queue and he would be happy to sign things and have photos taken. I was last in the queue and by the time it was my turn, most people had left as it was nearly midnight, but he was still happy to sign my book and have a few photos taken ;D. You never know what celebrities are going to be like in 'real life'; especially the ones who come across as being nice - they're quite often quite horrible characters when they're out of the limelight. However, Derren was lovely and was exactly as you'd expect him to be. So my claim to fame is that on a cold March night in 2010, I had a hug and a kiss from Derren Brown at the back of St George's Hall in Bradford :giggle:.
 
Back
Top