• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Numbing injection questions

Susanne

Susanne

Are the syringes used to administer numbing medication for wisdom teeth removal different in any way than those used to numb the patient before a filling or root canal? Some of the personal experience posts I've read on the internet describe the syringe as being quite large and/or painful. I don't know if that was an exaggeration on the part of the patient or if there really is a difference.

The syringes used in dentistry in look generally a bit different to those people are familiar with when having shots at their GP etc. (if you spotted one during your root canal treatment or filling, you know what I mean), so if someone who is maybe scared already sees them for the very first time, it can look pretty scary.

Dear Susanne,
For a painless injection, the kind of needle is not relevant. I for example use all kinds of needles and sizes, it really depends on the patient and the clinical situation. What does play a role is how the dentist uses their instruments. It is perfectly possible to have a completely pain free injection but in order to that, the dentist has to invest time and inject very slowly. You are invited to watch one of my films which I believe is relevant to you.

I am aware my post did not answer your question but thought you might find it helpful.

Back