• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Numbness after wisdom teeth removal

  • Thread starter Thread starter crazycatlady
  • Start date Start date
C

crazycatlady

Junior member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
12
I am almost 48 hours post op and I still have numbness in my right lip area, not to mention I am so swollen, I feel like a chipmunk. The chipmunk cheeks I was expecting, not the numbness, is this normal?
 
Hi crazycatlady

I hope your operation went well.

I had some numbness after my wisdom teeth were removed, it was slight nerve damage, felt like you had had an injection sort of feeling.

Mine took about 6 weeks to go, the numbness site just got smaller and smaller. I had no pain and really didn't notice it too much unless I poked and prodded it.

Just be patient and try to ignore all the horror stories about nerve damage that people will tell you ;)
 
I also have had nerve damage from getting teeth extracted, once even weirdly enough I had two teeth pulled on one side and when i woke up the next day the opposite side of my face and lip was numb, i thought i had had a stroke!!! it was really scary.....

in a few weeks I am getting all of my remaining teeth pulled one in which includes a wisdom tooth in the back bottom right, my dentist already told me to expect numbness and not to be able to feel my mouth there for awhile....

goood luck and i hope you get better!!!!:grouphug:
 
Hi crazycatlady,


It is very difficult for anyone to fully tell you how long the altered sensation will last. The fact that you have tingling is a good sign. Is that any tingling at your chin, or lower lips. It means that the nerve is still viable and may just be in traumatic phase. don't worry every thing is fine very soon.
 
Back
Top