• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Oil pulling

G

Gfan

I recently watched a bunch of videos about oil pulling and decided to give it a shot. I mean what do I really have to lose since my teeth are already in a bad state. Has anyone tried it and their teeth gotten worse?? I woke up today and found my gum swollen in between a couple teeth. Just wondering if this may have something to do with it or if it is just another issue to add to my list ??

Attachments

• 20191111_093145.jpg
    20191111_093145.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 11
Hi Gfan, as far as I've heard there is no evidence that oil pulling does anything to teeth, but I do not think it does any harm (and I believe in alternative medicine so I think they knew what they're doing in Ayurveda, so imo there must be some health benefits to that technique). I don't think the swelling comes from the oil pulling (what oil are you using?), it might be more just a coincidence that you got it now. Flossing gently and keeping the areas clean should help you to be ok in few days. Difflam also helps (according to @Gordon).

I asked my dentist about both oil pulling and charcoal toothpaste, and she wasn’t a fan of either. I think the swelling on your gum is probably a coincidence, because while I am not sure oil pulling has any real benefits (and like @Enarete I do believe in non-traditional medicine) I don’t think it is likely to cause harm beyond being time-consuming, and possibly tummy trouble if you accidentally swallow oil.

Thanks to you both for the replies. I kind of figured it was coincidence, but wanted to make sure nobody else has had any issues. I was kind of leery about continuing, but also thought maybe it would help the swelling a bit?

Thanks to you both for the replies. I kind of figured it was coincidence, but wanted to make sure nobody else has had any issues. I was kind of leery about continuing, but also thought maybe it would help the swelling a bit?

I am absolutely not a dentist, but I would probably switch to Peroxyl, Corsodyl, or salt dissolved in boiled water then cooled a bit so it’s not too hot if your gum is inflamed. (Particularly if it feels tender.)

Gfan,

Just wanted to say I totally can understand why you tried. Back in my youtube days when I would spend endless hours on the channel , I remember alot of things about oil pulling too.. Hope your issues find resolve :)

For me Diflam (or Difflam?) is a miracle. You can rinse with it or spray it on.

Yes, you can get it in pharmacy. It is usually used for sore throat. You can get it as a spray or a solution to rinse with. In UK at least, not sure where are you from?

Ok. The main ingredient is called Benzydamine hydrochloride so if you get to the pharmacy they should be able to find a product that contains it (in case the inflamation doesn‘t go away on it‘s own - in my experience after few days it does anyway)

Back