• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Old root canal tooth getting crown

conqueringfears

conqueringfears

Hi there! I am finally getting a crown on one of my molars that I had a root canal on in 2015. When I got this root canal the dentist put a temporary filling in there, or the same type of filling that you would get after a regular cavity is filled. There is a little bit of decay and a cavity on that tooth which they will remove prior to putting on the crown
- I am nervous because if I put pressure on that tooth, I feel a little bit of tenderness (onthe inside by my tongue,) which I’m surprised by because I thought that teeth that get RCT don’t have feeling or sensation.
- Could the tenderness be because of that decay that there could be a tiny bit of a feeling there?
- I did not want to get numbed up for this crown as I haven’t for all the other ones so well I still have to?
Getting a cavity filled and a tooth that’s going to be crowned is a new experience for me so I am just nervous of what to expect as well.

Attachments

• E4C54652-27E5-4234-A62D-15B962913563.jpeg
    E4C54652-27E5-4234-A62D-15B962913563.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 18
@conqueringfears I wanted to say that the root canal tooth on x ray looks fine and not reinfected. Could it then be the cavity still causing sensitivity or the decay on it?

I am nervous because if I put pressure on that tooth, I feel a little bit of tenderness (onthe inside by my tongue,) which I’m surprised by because I thought that teeth that get RCT don’t have feeling or sensation.
They don't usually. The filling looks pretty "leaky" so some bacteria could be getting into the canal system which would provoke a bit of inflammation at the root apex. Hopefully when it's been crowned and fully sealed it'll settle down.

- Could the tenderness be because of that decay that there could be a tiny bit of a feeling there?
Sort of, as above.

- I did not want to get numbed up for this crown as I haven’t for all the other ones so well I still have to?
Not if you don't want to.

@Gordon

1. If it's irritating my canal system, would it possibly hurt to get the filling & crown without LA?

2. On the x-ray, they said it looked fine but could it still leaky and not seen on an x-ray?

3. Would this end up possibly being a retreatment?

4. What does "leaky" mean exactly? Whew, I am so nervous.

Last edited:
1) No
2) Yes
3) Maybe, but probably not
4) It isn't totally sealing up the inside of the tooth, so bacteria can get in.

@Gordon thanks so much Gordon! Appointment is in 3 hours. I appreciate you!

Good luck, let's hear how it goes.

@Gordon Hi. I ended up cancelling my appt. My family has all come down with a stomach virus and the hour before my appt I fell ill. I called and the receptionist sounded so upset, being sure to remind me this was a 2.5 hour appointment. I felt terrible and I feel so guilty. :(

They are getting me in on the 8th of Sept, 3 weeks from now.

In the meantime Gordon based off of the photo here, should I apply some Dentek temporary filling to help keep it protected? It's been this way for quite some time, but want to make sure it's protected. Anything I can do?

Thanks for your support again.

That's too bad. Can't be helped though.

No don't waste your time with the temp stuff, it won't help at all.

Clicked send too soon, sorry!

A few weeks longer won't make any difference to it.

Back