F
Fraidie
Junior member
- Joined
- Jan 28, 2010
- Messages
- 19
I had my first dental appointment a few days ago and came away feeling so good about it and not as fearful about having the actual work done. Now I'm all worked up again about having an extraction this Friday. The tooth is an old rct that broke a few weeks ago, crown and all, at the gum line. Has anyone had a tooth extracted that was broken off even with the gum? How do they get it out? I asked at the dentist and they told me that it's not a problem, they have 'special tools' for that. Ewww. I'm also worrying about the Valium. They gave me a script for 4 - 5mg tabs and said to take two the night before and two an hour before the appointment. Will 10mgs be enough? They don't use nitrous very often - said it was up to the dentist if he thought it was needed, depending on the work he was doing. They also said that he likes to get patients nice and relaxed because it makes his job easier. OK, that was great news, but - why is the nitrous up to him and not me? I'm the one having the work done, not him!
Also, about the gum pockets. The hygienist said my mouth was in pretty good shape considering how long it's been since I've had a cleaning, etc (more than 30 years). I had one pocket that was a 5 and a few 4's. Is that serious gum disease? Or mild? Or does it even matter once you start getting pockets?
I think I have dental overload! Funny, after years of neglect, I now can't stop thinking about my teeth and what it's going to take to fix them.
Another thing they did while I was there - they used a webcam type thing and took photos of my teeth and put them up on a computer screen right in front of me. I was disgusted by the looks of that broken molar.
Also, about the gum pockets. The hygienist said my mouth was in pretty good shape considering how long it's been since I've had a cleaning, etc (more than 30 years). I had one pocket that was a 5 and a few 4's. Is that serious gum disease? Or mild? Or does it even matter once you start getting pockets?
I think I have dental overload! Funny, after years of neglect, I now can't stop thinking about my teeth and what it's going to take to fix them.
Another thing they did while I was there - they used a webcam type thing and took photos of my teeth and put them up on a computer screen right in front of me. I was disgusted by the looks of that broken molar.