• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just a tiny little success..

  • Thread starter Thread starter Imnotbetty
  • Start date Start date
I

Imnotbetty

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
106
I managed to finally call and make an appointment with a dentist back home. Even more shocking, when I was on hold for 5 minutes I was able to make myself stay on the line until someone picked up! I was shaking the whole time.

My appt. is January 2nd, so I have more than a month of horrible anticipation. My mom hurried up and ended our conversation when I told her as neither of my parents have seen a dentist in more than 10 years (which of course helped to spawn my fear!)
 
Don't sell yourself short....that's a huge success!! In the beginning I couldn't even read the posts on this board for more than 5 minutes without getting panicky at the thought of a dentist. It took me months to actually research and make contact with a dentist. You should be very proud of yourself!!!! [smiley=jumping.gif]

The waiting can be tough but I'm sure you'll be fine. Just keep visiting and we'll do what we can to support you if you need it!
 
Yes, that is certainly no little success, but a great big step. That really is the hardest thing to do, to make that appointment, and to keep yourself on the line, I think I would have put it down immediately in relief thinking thank goodness, I'll ring again tomorrow but as we all know, tomorrow never comes. So well done, you did great and don't worry, Jan 2nd will come round so quickly because you'll soon get caught up with Christmas preparations and then the actual festivities lasting over to New Year and before you know it you'll be in the dentist chair and then it will be over and it will get better from then on. And who knows, you are now a role model for your parents, perhaps that will spur them on to make appoinments for themselves. Do they know about this site? Anyhow, well done indeed, a very, very big success.
 
You know?
I forgot to tell them that I was the one that sent an email and that I had a phobia. Now they don't know about my fear.........oy. They also didn't tell me which dentist I'm seeing, not that I care which one because they both seem great, but one of them is seemingly in his early 30s and easy on the eyes.
 
Easy on the eye always helps!

Easy on the eye always helps! :D
Congratulations on making the appointment...why not just send another email making the connection so they know you need to be handled with care. You could also check who the appointment on 2 Jan is with as it will remove some uncertainty for you. You managed to phone and emailing is way easier [smiley=jumping.gif]
:grouphug:
 
well if he's that easy on the eye, we all know who won't be wanting any form of sedation don't we. It was rather like that with my sedationist, he was more than easy on the eye but unfortunately, I only saw him for a little while, while he had the pleasure of seeing me for an hour or so.
 
Back
Top