• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

oral sedation midazolam Didn’t work

B

Barleyboo

Hello

I have an all consuming phobia of the dentist. I’ve found a dentist that I can see. I’ve had one appointment and took oral sedation midazolam which worked (yay!!!!). But then I had a second appointment last week and it didn’t work. I don’t know why - it didn’t make me drowsy, it didn’t make me relaxed and I had to stop before any treatment started. I had the same dosage (maximum) and it didn’t have any effect. The dentist tried to reassure me saying it might be the time of day and sometimes it depends on what I had for lunch (I only had a light lunch) and rescheduled me next week.

I’m now terrified beyond belief that it won’t work and even though my dentist tried to reassure me, I keep worrying or wondering why it didn’t work. Has anyone got similar experiences where it hasn’t had any effect on one session but worked the next?

Hi Barleyboo :welcome:,

It's not at all uncommon for oral sedation to affect one and the same person differently on different days. This is why IV sedation is so popular - it's much more predictable and reliable that way. You can find some more information on oral sedation and IV sedation here on our website:

Oral sedation

IV sedation

If oral sedation midazolam has worked well for you before, it may well do the trick again next time round, but the effect isn't totally reliable. Is IV sedation an option at all? Does your dentist offer it? Another possibility would be to reschedule the appointment if the oral midazolam doesn't have the desired effect (as your dentist did the last time).

Hi Barleyboo :welcome:,

It's not at all uncommon for oral sedation to affect one and the same person differently on different days. This is why IV sedation is so popular - it's much more predictable and reliable that way. You can find some more information on oral sedation and IV sedation here on our website:

Oral sedation

IV sedation

If oral sedation midazolam has worked well for you before, it may well do the trick again next time round, but the effect isn't totally reliable. Is IV sedation an option at all? Does your dentist offer it? Another possibility would be to reschedule the appointment if the oral midazolam doesn't have the desired effect (as your dentist did the last time).
Absolutely true. Oral is unpredictable.

Oral Midazolam is absorbed from the stomach like alcohol. Just as drinking on an empty (ish) stomach makes you feel tipsy on very little so an empty stomach will ensure the midazolam is absorbed fast and gives you a higher level in your blood.
Now, I am not suggesting you starve yourself, as feeling faint with hunger will not be helpful, but maybe allow a couple of hours for the stomach to empty before your appointment. Also avoid fatty foods which can line the stomach and slow down absorption.
Don't worry about having another go, your dentist has already demonstrated that he will not push you if you feel unable to proceed, so you are in understanding hands.

Good luck for next week

Lincoln