• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain and swelling six days after extraction. Pain comes and goes.

C

coupondiva827

Hello, I had a tooth extracted six days ago. It was a simple extraction that went smoothly except for a root left in the socket (which was removed right away after an x-ray). I still have gum swelling and intermident pain. The pain comes a few times an hour and when it does, it feels like Ive been punched in the jaw. Severe pain that affects the extraction site, surrounding teeth (both upper and lower), and jaw (again both upper and lower even though the extraction site was lower). When the pain hits, its enough to cause me to burst into tears. I take pain medication for an unrelated condition (fibromyalgia), as well as a prescription nsaid which I alternate with advil. When Im not in one of the pain episodes, it just feels like a general ache which is manageable. Idont have any money right now to follow up with the dentist. I started taking leftover doxycyclin in case of infection (leftover fromabout a year ago). I have also tried clove oil with little benefit.

Thank you

You need to see your dentist, this should be covered in the fee you have already paid as aftercare. It sounds like you do have either dry socket which is unusual after 72 hours after extraction but it can happen. Or you have an infection.

I hope you feel better soon, please contact your dentist :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Back