• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain around tooth that has been root treated

D

Dakid

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I've had a root treatment done on two of my teeth. One was hyper sensitive a few days later so had to have some medication put in it and sealed back up again - had no problems with it since. The second one was done two years ago. In the last few months its progressively felt odd and sensitive to cold air. In the last few weeks the sensitivity has dramatically increased to the point where the pain feels similar to what it was before it was treated. The pain usually progresses throughout the day when cold air hits it. If i leave it for a while a burning pain builds up and i have to inhale on that side to cool it down. The pain is also affecting other teeth on the same side but on the lower teeth.

I've been to the dentist a few times and shes redone a filling on tooth next to it, now shes saying it could be from me grinding my teeth (as my muscle in my jaw is very inflammed and i have imprints in my tongue from grinding). I know i grind my teeth but don't think it is grinding that is the problem.. I mean its only really one tooth where the problem is coming from. I kind of want to say maybe she missed a canal on it and ask her to redo it again.

I've put up with it for a while but now its affecting my work, lifestyle and sleep. I avoid eating on that side incase i aggrovate the tooth. The pain only happens when its exposed to hot or cold but like i said it gets progressively worse throughout the day and is especially bad at night. Pain killers dont work to relieve the pain. It doesnt hurt when i bite down on the tooth but any kind lf hot food causes extreme pain.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be or what I should do? I'm going to try get an appointment next week but I have a feeling all she'll do is order in a mouth guard to stop me grinding. I've already paid for two lots of treatments that hasn't worked and I'm just getting really fed up with the pain now

Many thanks in advance, sorry its a long read lol

Maybe ask to be referred to an endodontist for evaluation and possible re-treatment?

Hi,

What your dentist needs to do is to trace down the sensitive tooth. It is done by a "cold test": provoking a single tooth with cold, until the guilty tooth/teeth is found. Later the dentist can evaluate what is the reason for it, and what is the tooth's condition.

It sounds as a cold test is mandatory in your case.

Thanks guys, believe it or not it seems to have settled down for the time being. If I have any problems I'll book.an appointment asap. Many thanks again

Back