• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain during final stage of root canal

But come to think of it.... I really don't like the attitude my regular dentist is giving me. She seems really annoyed at me today. She don't get it why I went to her today. I told her there's decay under the filling and she asked me, "so what can I do for you today?" with a tone that shown she's annoyed. I didn't let her refill it again because firstly she already failed to get rid of all the decay, secondly, I asked her if the decay is really near the nerve, if it is then no point refilling it and waste my money because if it is then eventually I still need a root canal.

Yes they do charge cheaper than the dentist that really listen to me yet my regular dentist always give me a feeling like she's so done with me.

It's really hard to find a dentist that make me feel like I can trust him/her.

If I have to get a tooth extracted, I pay extra to have it done at the oral surgeon rather than at my dentist (that can do an extraction and bone graft for cheaper) just because my oral surgeon has so much patience with me. Every time I go in worried about something, even if it ends up being nothing, he always tells me it is better to come in and check and that he will always make time to see me. To me, that is worth the extra, as going to my regular dentist causes more emotional stress. In the long run the emotional stress takes a toll on my body. My dentist does a great job, but he does get impatient with me sometimes.
I see my teeth as a long term investment, so I would rather spend a little more when I can afford to, even if it means putting it on credit card.

Your oral surgeon sounds great! I would go with him to if he makes you more comfortable and has more patience. If I remember right you have a longer standing relationship with him.

Your oral surgeon sounds great! I would go with him to if he makes you more comfortable and has more patience. If I remember right you have a longer standing relationship with him.

I have been going to this oral surgeon since I was with my previous dentist who left the practice. He has the best attitude all the time and is great about being upfront without being blunt or rude.

I have decided to go in on next Tuesday to the dentist that really listen to me for crowning. I had pain biting down on the RCT from time to time. Will definitely ask for his opinion to do the crowning or not.

I just don't get it, the nerve is gone why does it still hurt to bite on RCT tooth. ?

Anyone have zirconia crown here? Does it wear out the opposing tooth as I heard zirconia is very tough.

Really don't know if I will get use to the crown. It's like a foreign object in the mouth, hopefully I can get use to eating without fearing that I'll accidentally swallow it ??

I have decided to go in on next Tuesday to the dentist that really listen to me for crowning. I had pain biting down on the RCT from time to time. Will definitely ask for his opinion to do the crowning or not.

I just don't get it, the nerve is gone why does it still hurt to bite on RCT tooth. ?

Anyone have zirconia crown here? Does it wear out the opposing tooth as I heard zirconia is very tough.

Really don't know if I will get use to the crown. It's like a foreign object in the mouth, hopefully I can get use to eating without fearing that I'll accidentally swallow it ??

My root canal tooth hurt when pressure was applied and after 3 months was declared as failed. I think it has more to do with the gums around the tooth and not the nerve. When I had it extracted the oral surgeon said the gums in the socket under the tooth was “angry”. There was no infection present...the root canal just didn’t take.

I am getting zirconium crowns for my implants. I am nervous about the wear on the opposing teeth as well.

My root canal tooth hurt when pressure was applied and after 3 months was declared as failed. I think it has more to do with the gums around the tooth and not the nerve. When I had it extracted the oral surgeon said the gums in the socket under the tooth was “angry”. There was no infection present...the root canal just didn’t take.

I am getting zirconium crowns for my implants. I am nervous about the wear on the opposing teeth as well.

I think my RCT tooth might be failing too. It really hurts so bad when I bite down on it. Occasionally today it hurts too but I can't be sure if it's the RCT tooth that causing me pair or the tooth behind it.

Tbh I'm so sick of RCT. No 100% success rate, I understand about this as it applies to all surgery but apparently I'm just the unlucky one ?

I can tell you I have 2 zirconium crowns and they are my favorite :). I absolutely love the color and want all my teeth to have the same.. I don't notice wear on the other teeth because I have a denture underneath them... soo. can't help there.. but love the zirconium

I think my RCT tooth might be failing too. It really hurts so bad when I bite down on it. Occasionally today it hurts too but I can't be sure if it's the RCT tooth that causing me pair or the tooth behind it.

Tbh I'm so sick of RCT. No 100% success rate, I understand about this as it applies to all surgery but apparently I'm just the unlucky one ?

I will not get another root canal. I am one of the unlucky ones as well. After two failed ones, both with retreat and apicoectomies to try to save the tooth, I have decided no more. It may be a little more expensive to get an implant but it is cheaper for me in the long run to go straight to that versus paying for a root canal that fails and a crown that I end up not using, then have to get it extracted anyway. I will go the implant route even if it means wearing a temporary partial denture for awhile while I wait until I can afford the implant.

Going in tomorrow for dental crowning but I'm hesitating here.

The tooth is still sensitive to brushing and flossing and occasionally pain when biting down. Do y'all think I should still go ahead with the crowning or wait?

I haven't heard about possible adverse effects with zirconia, my dentist said it was the best material available at the time I had my crowns done. I have had mine for almost 3 years and everything is great so far?

I will not get another root canal. I am one of the unlucky ones as well. After two failed ones, both with retreat and apicoectomies to try to save the tooth, I have decided no more. It may be a little more expensive to get an implant but it is cheaper for me in the long run to go straight to that versus paying for a root canal that fails and a crown that I end up not using, then have to get it extracted anyway. I will go the implant route even if it means wearing a temporary partial denture for awhile while I wait until I can afford the implant.

I won't have any more RC's either for the same reasons. I thought that implants would be the answer for me too, but recently I have heard so many people saying their's have failed, which makes me anxious in case that happens to me. I guess all anyone can do is pick a dentist they trust and hope for the best.

I won't have any more RC's either for the same reasons. I thought that implants would be the answer for me too, but recently I have heard so many people saying their's have failed, which makes me anxious in case that happens to me. I guess all anyone can do is pick a dentist they trust and hope for the best.

I'm planning to get a dental implant for my lower molar this year. It's so expensive but I dont mind saving up if it can really give me a better chewing ability. I'm also afraid of the fact that it might fail.

I really don't wanna get another root canal if I ever need one in the future but yet I can't deal with losing another tooth..

Anyway guys, do y'all experience ear and jaw pain when your root canal failed?

I am having ear and jaw pain, can't tell if it's my ear infected or just tooth issues. My RCT tooth still having feeling when I brush or floss on it. No sensitivity to hot and cold.

Previously when my now missing molar needed a root canal, it started out as deep jaw pain, followed by ear and finally that tooth hurt to chew on.

Teeth issues are so annoying. I have very bad gum health since young due to overcrowding teeth. My gum is back to healthy now after braces but the aftermath of childhood is taking a toll on me

I'm planning to get a dental implant for my lower molar this year. It's so expensive but I dont mind saving up if it can really give me a better chewing ability. I'm also afraid of the fact that it might fail.

I really don't wanna get another root canal if I ever need one in the future but yet I can't deal with losing another tooth..

I am having ear and jaw pain, can't tell if it's my ear infected or just tooth issues. My RCT tooth still having feeling when I brush or floss on it. No sensitivity to hot and cold.

Previously when my now missing molar needed a root canal, it started out as deep jaw pain, followed by ear and finally that tooth hurt to chew on.

Teeth issues are so annoying. I have very bad gum health since young due to overcrowding teeth. My gum is back to healthy now after braces but the aftermath of childhood is taking a toll on me

I haven't experienced that type of pain no, mine just got reinforced.

TMJ and bite issues can cause ear and jaw pain. Could that be it rather than a failing root canal? Hoping things take a turn for the better for you!

I just went back to my dentist today as I'm having pain in my upper left 2nd molar for about a week. It's not a major pain pain, but more of like pressure kinda of pain and annoying deep ache pain. He gave me three options:

1) Wait and see as the tooth in front had a RCT and is still waiting it to settle down before doing a crown next month (he tapped on the 1st molar that got RCT and the 2nd molar. The 2nd molar doesn't hurt but the RCT tooth hurt). He say the 2nd molar symptoms is not very clear as I'm having pain but I pass all the tapping, cold air and biting stick test.

2) Straight go to endodontist to do root canal for 2nd molar. Which he don't recommend I'm having throbbing pain.

3) He will take out the filling that was refilled recently in Oct and try to clear out all the decay. If it doesn't hurt after the refill, then good. If no, I'll need a root canal.

I couldn't decide. Asked for his honest option, he say that number 1 is a better choice as he is afraid that the pain I'm feeling might be a refer pain from the RCT tooth that was in front of it. He say he don't want to cause me more harm in my tooth and my wallet.

I need some advise from you guys. Have you guys ever feel pain in your tooth that have a deep filling but still pass the tapping, cold air and stick biting test? I have attached my x-ray for your reference. The one behind root canal tooth.

I'm actually having pain in my other side of 1st molar tooth, dentist took an x-ray, no decay no crack no nothing but there's aching pain when I ate sweet things. Still feeling confuse why is there pain when there's no decay.

Attachments

• IMG-20200102-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20200102-WA0004.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 15
I just went back to my dentist today as I'm having pain in my upper left 2nd molar for about a week. It's not a major pain pain, but more of like pressure kinda of pain and annoying deep ache pain. He gave me three options:

1) Wait and see as the tooth in front had a RCT and is still waiting it to settle down before doing a crown next month (he tapped on the 1st molar that got RCT and the 2nd molar. The 2nd molar doesn't hurt but the RCT tooth hurt). He say the 2nd molar symptoms is not very clear as I'm having pain but I pass all the tapping, cold air and biting stick test.

2) Straight go to endodontist to do root canal for 2nd molar. Which he don't recommend I'm having throbbing pain.

3) He will take out the filling that was refilled recently in Oct and try to clear out all the decay. If it doesn't hurt after the refill, then good. If no, I'll need a root canal.

I couldn't decide. Asked for his honest option, he say that number 1 is a better choice as he is afraid that the pain I'm feeling might be a refer pain from the RCT tooth that was in front of it. He say he don't want to cause me more harm in my tooth and my wallet.

I need some advise from you guys. Have you guys ever feel pain in your tooth that have a deep filling but still pass the tapping, cold air and stick biting test? I have attached my x-ray for your reference. The one behind root canal tooth.

I'm actually having pain in my other side of 1st molar tooth, dentist took an x-ray, no decay no crack no nothing but there's aching pain when I ate sweet things. Still feeling confuse why is there pain when there's no decay.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you are still going through this with your teeth?
In answer to your question; yes, I have had this issue with my front teeth that were extremely painful and where I was convinced that I had abscesses, decay etc. but what it actually was was a tooth grinding/clenching issue. I did have a retained root that got infected too, but that was a secondary issue. I went to 4 different dentists and 2 out of 4 said there was no issue they could see; 1 said I did have decay in one of the teeth and 1 said I had an abscess and that I needed a RC immediately. Maybe it's worth trying a mouthgard to see if it makes a difference? Mine was stress related and when my circumstances changed, the pain went away, I can't tell you how relieved I was and still am!
It IS frustrating when dental issues as aren't as straightforward as we'd like them to be, but don't give up taking steps forward, there IS a solution somehow?

I'd go with option 1 after getting the bite carefully checked as above.

There is clearly some decay still under the filling but it's well sealed off from the outside so it probably won't progress, trying to get it all out will likely kill off the nerve and make a root canal inevitable. There's no sign of infection at the apex of the tooth so root canal isn't indicated at this stage.

I'd go with option 1 after getting the bite carefully checked as above.

There is clearly some decay still under the filling but it's well sealed off from the outside so it probably won't progress, trying to get it all out will likely kill off the nerve and make a root canal inevitable. There's no sign of infection at the apex of the tooth so root canal isn't indicated at this stage.

Thank you for your reply Gordan. Is the decay the reason why I'm having annoying dull pain in that tooth?

Clear all Endo test so all I can do now is wait for next month to come in dull pain for my dentist to do the crowning of root canal tooth (1st molar) and go into the decay part from the side for 2nd molar?

Sorry for asking so much question! The pain cause me to have pain in the ear and jaw sometimes too. Really annoying to have both tooth side by side having treatment done. Is so confusing.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you are still going through this with your teeth?
In answer to your question; yes, I have had this issue with my front teeth that were extremely painful and where I was convinced that I had abscesses, decay etc. but what it actually was was a tooth grinding/clenching issue. I did have a retained root that got infected too, but that was a secondary issue. I went to 4 different dentists and 2 out of 4 said there was no issue they could see; 1 said I did have decay in one of the teeth and 1 said I had an abscess and that I needed a RC immediately. Maybe it's worth trying a mouthgard to see if it makes a difference? Mine was stress related and when my circumstances changed, the pain went away, I can't tell you how relieved I was and still am!
It IS frustrating when dental issues as aren't as straightforward as we'd like them to be, but don't give up taking steps forward, there IS a solution somehow?

Omg yes I definitely do grind my teeth when I'm asleep. My clear retainer have sign of it for all my molar. Gonna have a new retainer next month after putting on permanent crown for my RCT, will definitely ask if there is retainer + night guard two in one ??

Thank you for your reply Gordan. Is the decay the reason why I'm having annoying dull pain in that tooth?

Clear all Endo test so all I can do now is wait for next month to come in dull pain for my dentist to do the crowning of root canal tooth (1st molar) and go into the decay part from the side for 2nd molar?

Sorry for asking so much question! The pain cause me to have pain in the ear and jaw sometimes too. Really annoying to have both tooth side by side having treatment done. Is so confusing.
The pain in your ear and jaw might indicate TMJ/bite issues, did you mention this to the dentist?

Back