• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain during final stage of root canal

As the days goes by, the gum around the upper left 2nd molar is really painful. It's a little swollen as well. Still no pain when chewing and tapping, just constantly ache and occasionally jabbing pain in that tooth. Based on how my body reacts to nerve dying previously, it's the same as what I'm experiencing now. My instinct is telling me that I might need a root canal or else an extraction. Can't decide which to go for but am leaning more to root canal but I don't know. I'm already missing two pre molar for the upper teeth, no more wisdom tooth too. So generally, I have lesser teeth compared to others. Didn't wanna mess up my bites.

Questions: If I have temporary crown or permanent crown beside the tooth that need root canal, will it affect the crown? I believe no right? Just afraid that the Endodontist might accidentally shave away part of the crown while replacing the filling after completing root canal.

Gonna have a temporary crown next Tuesday, and here I am worrying that it's gonna feel weird and it falling out. I feel stupid feeling this way but I just can't help it as this is gonna be my first dental crown, don't know what to expect. Felt this way before too when I'm getting braces. Hopefully the cement that they're gonna use is as strong as those that they use for molar band.

Anyone have any idea what to look out for while having temporary crown on? Searched for it and most website suggest not to chew crunchy, hard, chewy food. Some says not to chew anything on that side with temporary on at all. Is it true that we should avoid chewing on the side with temporary crown on? Hopefully the permanent crown will not take 2 weeks for it to be ready.

Will keep you all posted about my first ever dental crown experience ? hopefully my fear towards dental helps someone out there. We're not alone, we can overcome it by facing the fear and go ahead with the treatment ?

Questions: If I have temporary crown or permanent crown beside the tooth that need root canal, will it affect the crown? I believe no right?

Correct!

Gonna have a temporary crown next Tuesday, and here I am worrying that it's gonna feel weird and it falling out. I feel stupid feeling this way but I just can't help it as this is gonna be my first dental crown, don't know what to expect.

Temporary crowns generally speaking don't feel that brilliant, they're really just a plastic thing to protect your tooth and keep your neighbouring teeth from shifting while you're waiting for the permanent crown. So yes, it might feel a little bit weird and not like a perfectly formed tooth. It shouldn't fall out though!

Anyone have any idea what to look out for while having temporary crown on? Searched for it and most website suggest not to chew crunchy, hard, chewy food. Some says not to chew anything on that side with temporary on at all. Is it true that we should avoid chewing on the side with temporary crown on? Hopefully the permanent crown will not take 2 weeks for it to be ready.

Do avoid chewing crunchy, hard foods, nuts and popcorn etc. Softer foods, you should be able to eat on the side with the temporary crown no problem. Importantly, DON'T floss as normal around the crown - if you do want to use floss, you'll need to pull it out the side (not back up or down, because that could dislodge the temp crown). You're better off only using interdental brushes (TePe) and skipping the floss around the temp crown while you're waiting for the permanent crown.

It usually takes 2-3 weeks for the permanent crown to arrive, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high re. getting it earlier (but I suppose it depends on whereabouts you are).

Best of luck and keep us posted :) !

Hi guys! I just came back from my dental crown appointment. Gonna go back in two weeks for my permanent crown.

I'm not having temporary crown now, which is surprising but I'm not complaining cos now I don't have to worry about it falling off while I'm talking to guest (I work in a hotel).

Dentist told me the reason why he didn't gave me temporary crown was because he don't want me to put pressure on that tooth for me so he shaved it short and small so now I basically can't touch my upper left first molar at all with my opposite lower tooth. He say to avoid hard food, like chicken bone or peanut or any crunchy food. Luckily I don't eat those, I usually eats vegetables and I like my vegetables to be really really soft.

He say to chew on my right side for now. So I'm sticking to porridge for this two weeks, as I'm missing one molar on right side so I can't really chew well there.

He didn't work on the upper left 2nd molar (the one with little decay under the filling). He say once the 1st molar is done, we will start to work on the 2nd molar, unless it is getting me throbbing pain.

Anyone ever have the same experience as me? Without a temporary crown.

Hi guys! I just came back from my dental crown appointment. Gonna go back in two weeks for my permanent crown.

I'm not having temporary crown now, which is surprising but I'm not complaining cos now I don't have to worry about it falling off while I'm talking to guest (I work in a hotel).

Dentist told me the reason why he didn't gave me temporary crown was because he don't want me to put pressure on that tooth for me so he shaved it short and small so now I basically can't touch my upper left first molar at all with my opposite lower tooth. He say to avoid hard food, like chicken bone or peanut or any crunchy food. Luckily I don't eat those, I usually eats vegetables and I like my vegetables to be really really soft.

He say to chew on my right side for now. So I'm sticking to porridge for this two weeks, as I'm missing one molar on right side so I can't really chew well there.

He didn't work on the upper left 2nd molar (the one with little decay under the filling). He say once the 1st molar is done, we will start to work on the 2nd molar, unless it is getting me throbbing pain.

Anyone ever have the same experience as me? Without a temporary crown.

Some photos of how it looks like now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200323_150331.jpg
    IMG_20200323_150331.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200323_150354.jpg
    IMG_20200323_150354.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200323_151819.jpg
    IMG_20200323_151819.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 5
Back