• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain in jaw - 2nd opinion.Can someone help please?

T

thorpey

Hi All,
Saw dentist again today re the pain in my jaw. She had a good look around and tapped my teeth .She said she thinks one of my nerves has been damaged when she did the injection but I told her I had the pain before the injection?

She said she has never come across it before and is referring me for a second opinion to Manchester dental hospital. Question is how will the dental hospital be able to diagnose where the pain is coming from if she can't?

Do the dental hospital have more advanced diagnostic tools.Any ideas what I can expect to happen?

I also need an upper wisdom tooth extraction which they will do under IV sedation(which I am dreading)!!!!!!

Hi, I posted on your other thread last week, but one of the dentists kind of jumped on my comments. I wasn't recommending you take the medication I'm on, just telling you what I'd been prescribed for nerve damage.
I'm waiting for an MRI scan at the hospital, so perhaps that's the sort of thing you could expect. They ask you lots of details about the sort of pain you're experiencing, what makes it worse and better etc. They initially gave me a 360 degree x-ray but that didn't show anything untoward. The appointment is nothing to worry about, but you may have a long wait for it if you're in the UK like me.

Hi Carriss,
thanks for the reply. I hope they manage to diagnose what's wrong. I hope I don't have to wait very long. How long did you have to wait for your initial appointment? I asked the dentist if she could give me anything she could prescribe for nerve pain and she said there wasn't....

I had to wait 3 months for an appointment with oral surgery on the NHS. I was already taking the medication before the nerve damage so it was increased before my appointment. It doesn't take the pain away but it takes the edge of it.
I think you can get an appointment quicker if the dentist marks it urgent, but I don't think nerve damage is classed as urgent unfortunately.

Hi All,
Saw dentist again today re the pain in my jaw. She had a good look around and tapped my teeth .She said she thinks one of my nerves has been damaged when she did the injection but I told her I had the pain before the injection?

She said she has never come across it before and is referring me for a second opinion to Manchester dental hospital. Question is how will the dental hospital be able to diagnose where the pain is coming from if she can't?

Do the dental hospital have more advanced diagnostic tools.Any ideas what I can expect to happen?

I also need an upper wisdom tooth extraction which they will do under IV sedation(which I am dreading)!!!!!!

Is this the same dentist you went to the last time? Ask for a copy of that xray she took of that root canal and post it in this forum. Seriously!

Hi there,
yes, it was the same dentist. She looked at the X-ray again and said it looked fine.When she was on maternity leave I saw one of her colleagues and she checked and said the root canal looked really good??
As for getting a copy of the X-ray I don't think that is something they would not let me do...
hopefully the dental hospital will pick up something that she has not seen.
i did ask her if she thought it was an abcess and she said no??

Back