• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Panic attack

K

kayduck

Had a panic attack this morning just thinking of going the dentist and the appointment isnt till September. Its a new dentist. They say they will go slow and not judge. But im not sure i can go through with it, what if i panic when im there?..

Hi kayduck :waves:

I know it's hard to relax when someone says relax, but please try to relax. Is there anything that you like doing to take your mind off it?

I felt the same way, I was worried that a dentist would judge me but they didn't, they just want to help.

Just hang on, and if it doesn't go well, you can always try again when you're ready somewhere else (if possible)

The fact they are already supportive is good sign, and hopefully also a good indicator of how it should go.

It's unlikely anything big will happen other than an XRay and the exam (counting of the teeth part!), I'm pretty sure there's something around here that tells you what to expect at the first appointment.

The more you go, to see someone you trust, the easier it will get x

You can do this. The fear is usually worse than the doing!

Agree on a sign for when you've had enough, keep the chair a little more upright, take an audiobook or music to take your mind off the sounds if you think that will help, lavender essential oil.. there's lots that could help get you through. You can do it:)

@kayduck I'm sorry this is causing you so much stress, I know how it feels! Have you thought about bringing someone along with you? I used to get severe anxiety about visiting the dentist. What helped me through it was talking through my concerns with my dentist prior to my appointment. Her reassurance was so comforting, and it was nice to know I'm one of many who seek the same reassurance! Finding a dentist who will settle your fears is such an important part of overcoming dental anxiety. Try not to worry, everything will be fine.

I had a panic attack at the dentist a while ago and the dentist and receptionist were really kind and caring. The dentist sat with me until I had stopped panicking and then I managed to have the check up and then had a cup of tea before I left so that I felt completely back in control before I drove again. I felt totally mortified and embarrassed but they acted like it happens all the time! I’m not sure how I feel about going back but let me reassure you that if your dentist is good they will look after you . Good luck xx

Back