• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Panic because dentist has left

T

tari

I have been thrown into complete panic, I have not been to my dentist for about 18 months and now she is gone. Obviously I need to go or I would not be worried, have put of going since well before Christmas when problems started. I just can’t contemplate a new dentist, letting someone new look in my mouth is horrendous thought. I don’t know what to do, feel deep despair.

So sorry to read this, Tari. I believe that losing a once trusted and relied on dentist is one of the hardest and most scary things when beating dental fear and it would make me feel despair as well.

You are mentioning that letting someone new look in your mouth is a horrendous thought, so what about just having a look around at practices in your area and see if there is one you feel you might want to give a try? Maybe getting in touch and let them know about your situation?
If your previous dentist has someone who took her place and you feel you might want to give them a chance, maybe a short consult or a call would be a good start?

I know this is hard. On the other hand if you managed to find a new dentist once, I am sure you will be able to get there again. It's not the nicest thing to experience as a nervous patient, but you can get there on your own pace. Having managed to work with a dentist in your past might have help you to know more about your fears and what could help which makes things easier for you in the future.

All the best wishes and let us know your thoughts

I am in the same situation. My dentist left at the end of December, although I was right in the middle of treatment with her for a failed root canal, so I have to continue it with someone new. She left all my info with her partner, and said I would be in good hands with him, but it is scary to go to someone new!

I wish you the best in finding a new dentist.

A man has taken over from my dentist and I can’t see a male dentist, I really can’t. So I am looking for a new surgery. I would like to just go in and get used to the reception and waiting room first otherwise it’s all too much for me to deal with.

A man has taken over from my dentist and I can’t see a male dentist, I really can’t. So I am looking for a new surgery. I would like to just go in and get used to the reception and waiting room first otherwise it’s all too much for me to deal with.

This sounds like a great plan. :claps: Beating anxiety is nothing else than looking what next step, however small, would be ok for you to do and then do it. It's great you know what you can't cope with (a male dentist) and it's great you know what would be ok to do first (getting in and have a look at the reception). Any nervous patient friendly practice should be more than happy to allow you to get to know them in this way if you let them know.

Tari,

First off, I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this.. it is panicking to find this out , to be suprised someone you trust is no longer there and you have to thinking about finding someone new and there is just so much out there its overwhelming especially when you have urgent needs or in the middle of treatment, I was waiting for permanant crown to come in when I got my notice he was no longer there. I totally get you also having preferences in who cares for you, being sensitive to our own preferences and and what makes us comfortable is great self care and will help but you also never know who might surprise you too? But definitely respect your own preferences and comfort in the process.

When I was looking around I contacted some dentists who seemed anxious friendly on FB and some of them personally chatted with me and encouraged me to come in. I went in and met with 2 of them who really were nice. I also met another whom I didn't care for as much.. so I'm glad I went in to get that experience and know what I felt comfortable with and not.

Here is a link to my post I made when I recently had my dentist leave in December.. I got a Christmas present I wasn't expecting.. A new dentist.

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/f...beginning-of-a-new-journey.25969/#post-192716

Fast forward. So far he has been very comfortable to work with, I'm really appreciating my new dentists strengths.. but it does take time to build that trust.. I really hope you can find someone worthy of your trust who will treat you kind. I so agree to start slow with just a consult or meet and greet is a great way to see if you click with and feel comfortable in going any bit further.

If I can be of any encouragement please feel free to pm too! There are many of us who have recently been through this. You are not alone. We are here for you as you process through it!

I understand. My dentist was a woman also, and her partner is a man. I may end up going elsewhere as well. I want to finish treatment with him, though.

Good plan on going in and visiting the waiting rooms.

p.s. My dentist actually left twice. The first time is when I did my FB and meet and greet experiementing . Just getting experience and kind of desensitizing to check out new dentists.. then I found my dentist went for a few months and he left again that is where I am now with his partner the owner of the practice. Thankfully I don't think his partner my new dentist, will be leaving anytime soon since he's the owner and just opened this second location and has had his other for 10 years. he is very well established and has a great reputation in the area so... I'm really hoping I'll see him till he retires which won't be for some time hopefully.

Back