• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Parasthesia 7 months after failed attempt at removing two wisdom teeth.

N

n2searay

Before Christmas of 2017 I presented at a new dentist to have a broken tooth extracted. The doctor said he noticed one cavity on each of two wisdom teeth and talked me into having them extracted during the procedure, along with drilling out a filling on another tooth, in addition to doing a full cleaning of my entire mouth. All four quadrants of my mouth were numbed and the cleaning was done. The broken tooth was extracted, in 6 pieces. The old filling was drilled out to place a crown. The anesthia had worn off so multiple attempts were made to deaden the lower right and upper left to try again to remove the wisdom teeth. I was unable to tolerate the pain, so more injections were made by the dentist and also the hygienist..at one point, the dentist remarked that "I could inject more anesthesia, but I don't want to kill you". I had several more visits when he attempted to replace the temporary crown with the permanent crown, but it didn't fit so. During these visits, he injected anesthesia again in Hope's of removing the wisdom teeth. I called his office three times in the mean time to tell him that the lower right part of my mouth was still numb. This was approximately 3 months after the initial visit, and I was told that it may take a while to regain sensation due to the amount of anesthesia that was used. The permanent crown is now in place, but he eventually referred me to an oral surgeon to have the wisdom teeth removed. This is now July, I have hypersensitive shouting pain in my right lower jaw and it has been obviously seven months since the initial visit and there has been no improvement. The dentist said that I have parasthesia and it may or may not get better. He gave me the name of someone to do a "cannon beam CT"....IF I WANT TO PURSUE THAT! I would just like to have an outside opinion regarding all of this that I am going through. I m going to have the CT done but I am going to see a different oral surgeon instead of the one that he referred me to. Thank you for any input that you can provide.

n2searay,

wow.. this sounds quite a bit scary especially 7 months down the road.. I would probably try to find another opinion too and not necessarily the one he gave.. Ihope you can find some answers.. any updates?

Thank you for responding. I have an appointment with an oral surgeon on Friday so we'll see. I will give updates as soon as I can.

Went to the dentist's off and requested a copy of the physician notes from the procedures and waited over an hour. They gave me 'so-called records". When I got home and looked through them, there were 2 pages with one sentence each...all of the other pages were blank. Going to visit an oral surgeon tomorrow to have an X-ray and conebeam CT done to see if they can see anything. I'm going to someone I have seen in the past, instead of seeing the surgeon referred me to (incase they have some kind of agreement or partnership with Dr Davis who I saw originally for this fiasco).

Yikes! I hope the oral surgeon can give you some answers. I have extreme fear of injections, and I have difficulty getting numb, which is a bad combo, because I always have to have twice as many injections as most people to get numb.

I have had multiple dentists tell me that they will not numb both sides of the mouth at the same time. If it requires that, they will do general anesthesia.

Good luck at the oral surgeon. I am so sorry you are going through all this!

Thank you! I will post what the oral surgeon has to say. The fact that the dentist tried to numb all four quadrants has me concerned now, and that was over a 6hr time frame. The fact the dentist's off gave me 90% blank pages makes me think they're trying to cover that up. Hopefully I can get access to all of the ACTUAL clinical notes.....

Thank you! I will post what the oral surgeon has to say. The fact that the dentist tried to numb all four quadrants has me concerned now, and that was over a 6hr time frame. The fact the dentist's off gave me 90% blank pages makes me think they're trying to cover that up. Hopefully I can get access to all of the ACTUAL clinical notes.....

Yeah, that sounds fishy that they didn't have that many notes.

I'll come up with them one way or another. I guess they thought I wouldn't look at them.

Back