• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Phobics nightmare...where do I go from here?

H

Half-a-Crown

I plucked up ALL the courage I could muster & booked an appointment with a " caring" dentist only to be told I was one of the most phobic patients he had ever come across & he could not treat me!

I take a lot of medication for a heart problem & have many branches to my phobia incl. abuse, loss of control (crying, sweating, shaking) & previous bad experiences at the dentist to name but a few & although the reasons for my phobia were not explained fully my hubby did make him aware beforehand that I was "really" phobic & a quivering wreck & that I took a lot of medication, the dentist said this was fine but of course it wasn't & I have been sent packing with no help whatsoever

This is now 4 weeks later & I'm still in pain but have no idea where to turn, my husband has tried other dentists but they have all turned me down citing the medications I take, please can anyone tell me how I might seek help

Scared & embarrassed as I am I know I need help & am desperate to feel normal again....Thank you :cry:

Hi! Thanks for sharing your story with us! Firstly, don't worry about being the 'most phobic' patient or whatever, having a phobia of the dentist is more common than you think (take all of us on here for example:') and it's nothing to be ashamed of! Keep looking around for dentists, email a few and even ask your friends? They can give you accurate details of how good and kind the dentists are? You could even ask just for consultations with the dentists, no tools just to meet them! I don't know if it would help you- but I found on YouTube some interesting videos (binaural) which have noises on such as scraping, the drill and a dentist talking, just so you get used to the sounds? I don't know if this would help you, but it can prepare you for what may come ahead also you would be in the comfort of your own home and able to pause and play the sounds when you feel ready! Maybe take some tablets for the pain if you can considering your other meds! Keep looking for a new place to go- as you don't want to prolong the pain any more!
Good luck! Please keep us all posted!
Big hugs :jump::XXLhug::love::clover:

Well done for being able to book the appointment. I know that is a huge step. Did he tell you why he couldn't treat you? Was the only reason he couldn't treat you because you were scared? I went to the dentist a few weeks ago and I sat in the chair, he went to start and then stop, he refused to do any treatment. He refused because my oral hygiene is bad which it won't be if my teeth did not hurt so much. The re so sensitive. He also refused because of how scared I was. I have a lot of anxiety problems and my hands shake because of it. I can definitely relate to the shaking. I think its so unprofessional for them to just send you away, Could you maybe email dentist in your area and explain your situation to them or contact the local hospital. I took a lot of painkiller before my last appointment-

Here's the latest on this horrendous journey

Last evening my hubby took over again & got me to the emergency dentist who proved to be very understanding & although was unable to provide any real treatment did prescribe antibiotics & has filled in a referral to the Special Dental Care Service in my area, I had no idea there was such a service or that I could be referred

She took time to fully explain why I was being referred, both my phobia & complicated medical condition, & what I can expect from this service. At no time did she make me feel any more uncomfortable nor did she make me sit in THAT chair indeed she got us to sit out in another room while she explained things so I was not surrounded by the equipment. She also explained that my general oral health is good & suggested that some of the meds I take could be having an effect on my teeth

The upshot of all this is that although I still have pain & discomfort this morning I now know there is going to be some help for me eventually under medical supervision & their goal will be to treat not just my teeth but my phobia too....As you can tell I'm trying to stay positive (at least until the next time)

Thank you to all who are/have supported me so far & I will be sure to keep you updated as this saga progresses :cool: