• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please .Please....help my husband this time !!!!!

J

jools

Hi,

Usually, its me asking for support, but this time, my husband, who claims he is NOT dental phobic is refusing to visit a dentist as he claims he has just a 'gum problem'!!

He has started to be in some pain, with as he states, the gum, at the top of his tooth on the top right hand side of his mouth, which he claims is a 'double tooth' He says that the pain is in his gum and not his tooth,( by the way this is the tooth he lost a filling by eating a toffee about a month ago !!) though it is sore and hurts, he said it feels like he has something stuck in it. I have given him 'Adult strength Anbesol' but is there anything I can do to give him to help ? Mindful we now have the weekend and I can't call a dentist, which he flatly refused me to do today might I add !! ( Which would have been the best option) Is there a strong painkiller/mouthwash ? I have given him 'Eludril, would anything else help until I can contact my dentist Monday to see if she can see him ?...ignoring his protests that he does not need a dentist....

Any help would be good please ....

Thankyou

Jools

Last edited:

Jools.

It sounds like he has abscess to me. He would feel the pain in the gum rather than the tooth itself. The gum might be tender, slightly swollen and the tooth sore to bite on.

Hot salt water mouth washes may well help a little. He should take pain killers. Ambersol will make no difference as it only acts on superficial things like ulcers. The only medication that will make a difference is antibiotics and even this would be a short term solution.

How long have you been married? Surely you realise that there is nothing you can do to change his mind when he is being that stubborn. ;)If it is an abscess a few more days of pain should result in him reconsidering your recommendation about visiting the dentist!!!;D

All the best

Hi Jools
Having your dentist 'on standby' for when he caves in would be a good option though. BTW I think he does indeed have a little dental anxiety going on there ;) but that's stating the obvious.
Hope your weekend is not too blighted by it.
:grouphug:

Antibiotics from 'out of hours' doctor maybe? Dentists are supposed to look after gums and teeth.. in fact the whole oral cavity...not everyone knows that.
Try counselling him about his previous experiences maybe....

Hi,

Many thanks to you both, yes, my husband is stubborn and even after waking at 3am this morning in pain, he is still saying "Its not the tooth, it's the gum, it will go away in a few days !!" I have even shown him the above responses with little effect, he is adamant he is 'not afraid of the dentist' but does not need to go !! My worry is that this will obviously get worse with little or no treatment and getting an appointment may be difficult, it also didn't help when my brother in law told him that if he rinses with Corsodyl it will go away !! I really think that a call from me to my dentist Momday morning on his behalf may force the issue.

I am at a loss as to how else to get through to him, he's such a lovely caring man when it comes to my wellbeing but he won't help himself.

Kindest regards

Jools

Hi jools:

pain is a sign something is not right. Your husband is not a dentist and neither are you, hence an informed opinion is in order. If it is nothing then great. It will only take a few minutes to determine what it is. If it is a problem then the earlier you catch it the easier it is to fix.

Since your husband has great interest in your welfare then tell him it will help you and ease your mind by have him getting this checked. If it was happening to you I am sure he would insist that you get it looked at.

Just like the old expression, "What is good for the goose is good for the gander."

I believe in erring on the side of caution. There is not any downside i can think of by getting this checked.

Blessings :)

Back