• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Positive experiences with beta blockers?

P

Peppa

I am due to have a small part of a molar smoothed on the surface with composite bonding. It sounds quite minor, and will take place in the same appointment time as a check up. However, I have previously panicked during a deep filling (the end part where the layers went in) so am very nervous. I plan to take propranolol beforehand and hope that it stops any panic from developing.

I’d really love some reassurance and positive stories of any of you who have used beta blockers for dental anxiety.

thank you.

Hi Peppa,

I don't have experience with Propranolol for dental anxiety, but I know some people who use it against social anxiety - the kind of situations where they are among people and in the middle of the focus. It helps them to stay relaxed and grounded. Anxiety is basically anxiety, no matter where it arises so if it works for social anxiety, it may work for dental anxiety too.

Besides medication, it's always a good idea to have a brief chat with your dentist and let them know which parts of treatment may be difficult and what could help (a short break beforehand, the dentist talking to you during that part, being explained what is happening or rather having silence etc.). Arranging a stop signal to stop the treatment if you feel your anxiety is rising may be a good idea too.

All the best wishes and keep us posted