• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Positive experiences with X-rays?

T

Tryingtoovercome

Hello all,
I've searched the forums trying to find something but I'm wondering if anyone is able to handle X-rays with no problems? I see a lot of posts about gagging on X-rays and I've seen the link for helpful ways to manage the reflex however I'm wondering if I could hear from people who have no problems with the X-rays to know that it is possible to get through them if that makes sense. Just basically a thread I can refer to for reassurance. Do you have any tricks that help make it a lot easier? Etc. thank you

Hi Tryingtoovercome

I don't personally have too bad of a gag reflex, and even though I get a bit worried about it when I get xrays taken, I don't find it too bad myself. It's quite quick when I think about it, not too long with it in my mouth and then it's done. I just try to carry on breathing normally and trying not to move ?

I hope this is some help to you

Hi @Tryingtoovercome,
On my side I noticed I sometimes have the strong gag reflex and other times I do fine. One thing that helps for me is letting the hygienist know.

Sometimes the hygienist will simply make sure she can be as quick as possible and that is enough to help. Something else that helps is when they can do it as a team. In that case one person would prepare me and the other would push the button. The last time we did this, it was a sedation nurse who helped to push the button and she was encouraging me while my hygienist would prepare me and it helped a lot. Another thing is that sometimes they use strange devices to get the x-ray in a special angle. I had cases where they offered to have me hold something smaller with my hand that still allowed for the odd angle x-ray to be taken.

I am always super worried about x-rays, having nightmares, hoping they won't have to take any, imagining the worst-case scenarios.. and when the moment of taking x-rays is there, guess what? Nothing happens. I get my x-rays taken and all is well. I sometimes tell myself that if I am able to cope with a huge piece of donut in my mouth, then I will manage x-rays too (did you ever bite off too much of something and literally needed a moment to chew it because your mouth was too full? That's the situation I am thinking of) :)

Hi Tryingtoovercome

I don't personally have too bad of a gag reflex, and even though I get a bit worried about it when I get xrays taken, I don't find it too bad myself. It's quite quick when I think about it, not too long with it in my mouth and then it's done. I just try to carry on breathing normally and trying not to move ?

I hope this is some help to you
It does help! Thanks so much

Hi @Tryingtoovercome,
On my side I noticed I sometimes have the strong gag reflex and other times I do fine. One thing that helps for me is letting the hygienist know.

Sometimes the hygienist will simply make sure she can be as quick as possible and that is enough to help. Something else that helps is when they can do it as a team. In that case one person would prepare me and the other would push the button. The last time we did this, it was a sedation nurse who helped to push the button and she was encouraging me while my hygienist would prepare me and it helped a lot. Another thing is that sometimes they use strange devices to get the x-ray in a special angle. I had cases where they offered to have me hold something smaller with my hand that still allowed for the odd angle x-ray to be taken.

I expressed my concerns with my new dentist and she said she will have two girls tag team me and will use a smaller sensor so I'm hoping with that combination, it will really help!

I am always super worried about x-rays, having nightmares, hoping they won't have to take any, imagining the worst-case scenarios.. and when the moment of taking x-rays is there, guess what? Nothing happens. I get my x-rays taken and all is well. I sometimes tell myself that if I am able to cope with a huge piece of donut in my mouth, then I will manage x-rays too (did you ever bite off too much of something and literally needed a moment to chew it because your mouth was too full? That's the situation I am thinking of) :)
This is super helpful!! I hope that's my experience, worked up for nothing! I've had X-rays before to diagnose a problem tooth but I can't remember the last time I had a full mouth series so I'm super nervous that I won't be able to handle it. More so the fear of the unknown since I don't know what to expect. So thank you for sharing!

I've had X-rays before to diagnose a problem tooth but I can't remember the last time I had a full mouth series so I'm super nervous that I won't be able to handle it.

If you handled one tooth, you will totally be fine with a full mouth series. They don't do them all at once, it is simply the same procedure as with one tooth, but you will do it few times with the sensor being placed on different spot each time :) I find the term "full mouth" a bit misleading.