darlingdiva26
Junior member
- Joined
- Mar 29, 2013
- Messages
- 8
- Location
- Central IL
Hello all.
I have a horrible fear of the dentist... so much so the last time I had seen a dentist was when I was 13 years old, right before high school started and that's only because my school district mandated it. I hadn't been since then.. well except for almost 3 weeks ago.
I had my bottom right tooth pulled on March 27th. Healed fine with no dry socket. I am able to eat on that side, albeit slower than normal.
I had a baffling pain on Friday at work. Mind you, this has happened before, when I was pregnant it was pretty common til I learned what triggered it.
While at work on Friday (I am a dietary aide at a nursing home) I was filling a coffee pot and all of a sudden I got an INTENSE sharp electric-like shock pain in my upper tooth (one of the incisors). I dropped the coffee pot and fell to my knees The pain only lasted maybe 3 seconds but about five minutes later my whole entire jaw area, top and bottom, began to throb. I ran home on break, took some tylenol and iburprofen and returned to work, thinking that would help. Boy was I wrong. The throbbing pain subsided for about twenty minutes, long enough for me to pass out snack to our residents. All of a sudden the sharp shock like pain returned and then the throbbing returned at well. I noticed when I went into the bathroom (didn't want anyone to see I was in horrible, excruciating pain) and placed heat on the left side of my face, the pain subsided a bit. Then when I put my head down, between my legs I felt a great release of pressure and the pain was actually bearable. I went back to work and kept my head down, looking like a fool. Just a few more hours than I can go home, I thought. I didn't even make it twenty more minutes. I got 5 more "attacks" of this sharp pain in my upper tooth. I couldn't stand it anymore so I called my supervisor and was crying on the phone to her. She told me to go ahead and go to ER and get some pain relief. I went there and they immediately thought it was a toothache, as did I. The doctor took a tongue depressor and pressed on all my teeth, no pain there, not even pressure. My entire jaw was still throbbing. He then diagnosed me with TMJ, gave two powerful shots of toradol and dilaudid and sent me home with Vicodin. The shots dulled the pain enough to be bearable but I would still get that electric shock a few more times that night. Nothing bad though, enough to take my breath away and my heart to beat a little faster. I looked up TMJ and it doesn't appear that I have this at all. I googled a few things and I think I may actually have TN or Trigeminal Neuralgia. I noticed that a trigger was that if I ate anything on that side of my face (left side) that is when the pain would start and it's completely random. I could be sitting down doing nothing and the pain starts.
Anyone else here have either syndrome and can help me?!
I have a horrible fear of the dentist... so much so the last time I had seen a dentist was when I was 13 years old, right before high school started and that's only because my school district mandated it. I hadn't been since then.. well except for almost 3 weeks ago.
I had my bottom right tooth pulled on March 27th. Healed fine with no dry socket. I am able to eat on that side, albeit slower than normal.
I had a baffling pain on Friday at work. Mind you, this has happened before, when I was pregnant it was pretty common til I learned what triggered it.
While at work on Friday (I am a dietary aide at a nursing home) I was filling a coffee pot and all of a sudden I got an INTENSE sharp electric-like shock pain in my upper tooth (one of the incisors). I dropped the coffee pot and fell to my knees The pain only lasted maybe 3 seconds but about five minutes later my whole entire jaw area, top and bottom, began to throb. I ran home on break, took some tylenol and iburprofen and returned to work, thinking that would help. Boy was I wrong. The throbbing pain subsided for about twenty minutes, long enough for me to pass out snack to our residents. All of a sudden the sharp shock like pain returned and then the throbbing returned at well. I noticed when I went into the bathroom (didn't want anyone to see I was in horrible, excruciating pain) and placed heat on the left side of my face, the pain subsided a bit. Then when I put my head down, between my legs I felt a great release of pressure and the pain was actually bearable. I went back to work and kept my head down, looking like a fool. Just a few more hours than I can go home, I thought. I didn't even make it twenty more minutes. I got 5 more "attacks" of this sharp pain in my upper tooth. I couldn't stand it anymore so I called my supervisor and was crying on the phone to her. She told me to go ahead and go to ER and get some pain relief. I went there and they immediately thought it was a toothache, as did I. The doctor took a tongue depressor and pressed on all my teeth, no pain there, not even pressure. My entire jaw was still throbbing. He then diagnosed me with TMJ, gave two powerful shots of toradol and dilaudid and sent me home with Vicodin. The shots dulled the pain enough to be bearable but I would still get that electric shock a few more times that night. Nothing bad though, enough to take my breath away and my heart to beat a little faster. I looked up TMJ and it doesn't appear that I have this at all. I googled a few things and I think I may actually have TN or Trigeminal Neuralgia. I noticed that a trigger was that if I ate anything on that side of my face (left side) that is when the pain would start and it's completely random. I could be sitting down doing nothing and the pain starts.
Anyone else here have either syndrome and can help me?!