• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post Extraction Advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter shamed shane
  • Start date Start date
S

shamed shane

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2017
Messages
35
Good news; I finally had #18 removed yesterday first day healing went as well as could be expected. I honestly would not have had the courage to go through it without this forum. Now I do have some questions moving forward.

My bleeding stopped sometime before bed last night. I haven't had any bleeding or oozing today from the site. I believe a good clot has formed. For the first full day I've maintained a soft food only diet, Luke warm soup, ice cream, pudding, jello, will try mashed potatoes tonight. When should I begin to incorporate harder foods? My surgeon didn't give me great advice on when to know when I'm ready to progress and online resources aren't really helping me with determine the stages of recovery.

Also, when do I know when I'm in the clear from a dry socket?
 
You should start eating softer solids whenever you want. Just chew on the other side of your mouth, and if you feel anything stuck in your new socket, give it a gentle rinse. Honestly, you can progress to hard foods whenever you want. Favour the the other side of your mouth and you'll probably be fine.

Dry socket is a fairly rare complication. As long as you follow the rules about not smoking and not using straws for a week or so afterwards, you'll probably be fine.
 
You should start eating softer solids whenever you want. Just chew on the other side of your mouth, and if you feel anything stuck in your new socket, give it a gentle rinse. Honestly, you can progress to hard foods whenever you want. Favour the the other side of your mouth and you'll probably be fine.

Dry socket is a fairly rare complication. As long as you follow the rules about not smoking and not using straws for a week or so afterwards, you'll probably be fine.
In addition to what Sevena wrote, a dry socket can come only during the first 4 days. After that period, the healing process is very stable.
 
Thanks Sevena and Dr. Daniel! Healing has been going well. I'm ready for the process to be over so I can focus on the next piece of the dental puzzle.
 
Back
Top