• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post extraction advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter serendippyty
  • Start date Start date
S

serendippyty

Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
21
Location
warwickshire
Can anyone give me any advice on how long I can expect not to be able to eat properly?

I had three teeth removed yesterday from opposite sides of the mouth - 2 lower left, 1 on upper right.

Since then I have had two cup a soups and a mashed egg but I am starving. I can't imagine ever being able to eat properly again and I am absolutley terrified of getting dry socket so keep avoiding food in case it gets stuck in the holes.

How much chance of geting dry socket?
Also, I'm on metranizadole and amoxycillin - started taking prior to treatment so course finishes today, is that likely to help with the infection risk?
I read somewhere I shouldn't drink alcohol for a week post extraction but have been invited out on Friday night, can I have wine or must I wait?

Thanks for any advice...
 
Whether you eat normally or not has little impact on your chances of a dry socket. These things are really really rare, I don't know why everyone obsesses about them.

The antibiotics will probably help a bit, but since dry socket isn't actually an infection, then it's difficult to be certain. The most effective thing to do to avoid a dry socket is not to smoke.

Well, the second most effective thing, the most effective would be not to have a tooth extracted...

You shouldn't drink anything, just parcel it up and post it to me for safe disposal :)

No, seriously, by Friday night you can drink alcohol if you want. Have a good time.
 
Thank you!

I have to admitmy heart sank when I startedto read your response about drinking but I'm mightily relieved I can have some wine on Friday!

Also great to know dry socket is quite unusual, I got the impression it was quite common with all the posts - I don't smoke anyway so that's good :)

Gah, just want to be able to EAT something nice!
 
Go ahead and make yourself a nice sandwich then :)
 
Back
Top