• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post Extraction & Bone graft question - two weeks

K

kwilli7

I got my two back molars on the bottom left side extracted two weeks ago. Dentist had a difficult time with the roots and in the process nicked the underside of my tongue (got in the way, oops). I got a bone graft for each of the extractions and got stitched up in my gum and tongue. Two weeks later I'm a little tender but much better and feeling more like myself, I was in urgent care a couple days ago for what ended up being a tonsil ulcer (thought I had strep) and the doctor there said my stitches looked fantastic and all my swelling has subsided.

I am experiencing throbbing in the gums when I get my heart rate going and wanted to know if that is normal even two weeks later? I'm a 24 year old healthy female and would like to start exercising but even walking briskly makes my gum throb. Does not hurt, more annoying than anything, feels like it'll burst or something. I get my stitches out on Monday.

Last edited:
Sincerely hope you are feeling better. I read in some forums that you should not do strenuous exercise until the surgical site has healed. I am about to undergo the same - 1 molar extraction and gum graft. I am really scared. Did you have a lot of pain post op ?

I had extractions and bone grafting done and was told not to exercise until after I was cleared to by the dentist. I think you should talk to your dentist about what’s best in your situation.

I just had a sinus lift which is a type of bone grafting. I was told no exercising, no drinking through a straw, no lifting heavy objects for at least 3 weeks.

Sincerely hope you are feeling better. I read in some forums that you should not do strenuous exercise until the surgical site has healed. I am about to undergo the same - 1 molar extraction and gum graft. I am really scared. Did you have a lot of pain post op ?

I had pain post op for a little over a week but my dentist had a rough time with my roots because my bone didn’t want to give them up :) I think because of that and the fact that I had two removed was why I was in as much pain as I was initially. Within a few days I was not taking any prescription meds and was only on over the counter anti inflammatory meds and was able to cope alright. I read that the extraction and whether it is difficult or not really determines how much pain you’ll endure. My throbbing has gone down and I won’t exercise until I’ve spoken with my dentist Monday when I get my stitches out, hopefully he says all looks well. I hope your procedure goes well! I was extremely afraid and wanted to cancel but I’m happy I followed through with it and my dentist was understanding and patient with me.

Post Extraction & Bone graft question - two weeks

I had a difficult extraction with grafting in May. I excersize regularly (run, strength training, etc) and was told to wait at least 2 weeks. After my 2 week follow-up I was cleared for exercise. I did still have some of the throbbing you described. Especially with the graft, I would wait until you are cleared for exercise.

Re: Post Extraction & Bone graft question - two weeks

I had a difficult extraction with grafting in May. I excersize regularly (run, strength training, etc) and was told to wait at least 2 weeks. After my 2 week follow-up I was cleared for exercise. I did still have some of the throbbing you described. Especially with the graft, I would wait until you are cleared for exercise.

Hopefully my dentist clears me tomorrow, since posting the throbbing has come down significantly but I'm still not doing anything until I know for sure. Thanks! Looking forward to running and yoga again!

@kwilli7
Hi there, so I also just had a molar extraction about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago and I understand your question. The throbbing is just the blood and you have a fresh wound that has just begun to heal so I don't think it's abnormal to feel that. They always advise to take it easy and not do any cardio for the first couple of days so I think all is good!

Back