• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question about blood clot after Wisdom Tooth Removal

M

markmercado

I've been reading and watching videos about dry socket prevention and all of them says that the blood clot must stay inside to promote healing.. I had my right wisdom tooth removed yesterday and I followed everything the post operative instruction the dentist gave. Later today (24 hrs past) I started doing the warm water salt rinse, all I did was slowly tilting my head to the right side and let the water stay for a bit and I did not spit the water out. Anyways what I notice is the blood clot inside was gone after the salt water though not sure if its totally gone but its not the same before were its just blackish red now all I can see is the white bone/tissue in the center. Did I dislodge the blood clot am I now at risk of getting dry socket, I've read on some of the forums that the white tissue is also part of healing but is the blood clot the most important part of the healing process. I'm not really sure now as I have read to many topics and forum and I can't find something that will ease my mind and also a thread that show the same experienced as mine. Hopefully someone can explain if I did wrong and also if I need to do something to heal this with ease. Its just my 1.5 days after the procedure and I starting to get nervous maybe cause I'm also reading to much.:confused:

Me, I blindly hoped for the best, so I can only speak from my individual experience.

Bleeding may go on for a few days. Unless you go on further than that, with no sign of the bleeding going away, you don't have any serious worries. Either way you should make a follow-up appointment after a week to be sure that your healing is on track. New gum tissue filling the sockets where your wisdom teeth used to be can take up to six months or more. It varies with people. Keep up the saltwater rinsing, careful of hard/crunchy foods, and just follow whatever rules your dentist gave.

Warning!!! Dry sockets aren't always painful. I went back for what I thought was a moving bone sliver in the gums, painless but bothersome as I felt I was constantly about to swallow it down my throat, and the dentist said I had a bit of dry socket along with food debris. He removed the latter, prescribed saltwater rinsing for the former, and I was fine.

Seems all of us who had our wisdoms out are experiencing the same phobia of dry socket. I just had mine out Friday and am also afraid I may have messed with the clot. I guess there is nothing we can do now if it did happen so just keep your dentists number close and pray for the best.

Back