• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question about extraction, bleeding & gauze!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Isabella828
  • Start date Start date
I

Isabella828

Junior member
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
6
So I just had some wisdom teeth out about 3 hours ago. I got a instruction sheet but its not totally the answer to all my questions!

I have changed by gauze twice so far. still bleeding a bit. How long before I just quit with the gauze? Do I have to not be bleeding at all?

Also I am quite thirsty. Can I take a drink when I change my gauze next? haha I know I prob can but I am just trying to do everything right!

Also I know you prevent dry socket by not smoking sucking straws etc. I can still drink and eat cold mushy things safely right? One of my holed got stitched up. Do I still have to worry about dry socket with that one?

Thanks in advance!
 
So I just had some wisdom teeth out about 3 hours ago. I got a instruction sheet but its not totally the answer to all my questions!

I have changed by gauze twice so far. still bleeding a bit. How long before I just quit with the gauze? Do I have to not be bleeding at all?

Also I am quite thirsty. Can I take a drink when I change my gauze next? haha I know I prob can but I am just trying to do everything right!

Also I know you prevent dry socket by not smoking sucking straws etc. I can still drink and eat cold mushy things safely right? One of my holed got stitched up. Do I still have to worry about dry socket with that one?

Thanks in advance!

If you're not bleeding lots, then you should be OK without the gauze. You'll get traces of blood on the first day, and as it's mixed with/diluted by the saliva it can look like there's more blood than there actually is.

As for eating and drinking, my experience was that I was fine so long I let hot drinks (tea/coffee) cool right down before I tried to drink them. Don't do yourself out of food and drink, you'll end up feeling worse not better !

When I had several old decayed molars removed (20 + years ago now !) my dentist sutured all the sites and I had no after-care instructions at all, other than to take Ibuprofen if I had any pain. That suggests that the sutures may minimise the chance of dry sockets, but I'll wait for one of our dentists to give you a proper answer on that.

John
 
Back
Top