• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question regarding composite fillings...

  • Thread starter Thread starter niceguy
  • Start date Start date
N

niceguy

Junior member
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
18
I had a lot of composite fillings done on my teeth.. A lot of them multi-surface. Some of the teeth the composite matches well others you can visabily see the difference in color on the front portion of the tooth.

Is it possible to bond the part of the tooth that doesn't have the filling to match the part that does.. I would think this would be a common practice to make everything look uniformed. Just want to get some opinions on what I should say to my dentist and if I could expect him to match the colors.

Really the filling is just a bit to light on some teeth but others its fine... Its on my front teeth in my smile radius so it kinda looks like its been patched up ( which I understand is what they are doing is patching the decay up )

I just wanted some reassurance that this is easily covered. Can the remaining part of the front of the tooth be bonded to match the color of the filling if the color is off a bit?

Thanx :)
 
No one? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this problem :P
 
It should be possible to make things blend in better. It depends on the tooth, but sometimes covering the entire front surface can make it blend in better.
 
Well its my lower right canine tooth I think its called #28 I think. The problem is the decay was perty bad on that tooth on the front portion so the filling is rather big.. He filled it in but you can visably see where the filling ends and what was left of the top portion begins.

He told me he didn't want to grind down good tooth structure to match the color and I would probably have to crown it if it bothered me. I go back on monday to prep my 2 crowns and I'm wondering if I should just have that tooth crowned right away also since it does have a big filling in it... But I donno I just think he should put more effort into matching it

Do crowns look good on canine teeth?... I can see how they would easily crown others but those teeth are shaped funny and curve into the gum line perty far do the crowns for those teeth look good also?

Any suggestions on how I can get my dentist to possibly bond the top part of whats left on that tooth so it matches?
 
Really big fillings are almost impossible to blend in in my experience. A crown would be the most aesthetic solution, but I'd want to hang off for a bit, just to give the tooth a chance to recover from the fairly major procedure it's just had done on it. It's not a problem for a decent technician to make a crown for a canine.
 
I had a front tooth done with composite fillings and I can also notice a slight color difference if you look close to it. It really doesn't bother me too much because it looks a lot better now than what it did before it was done :)
 
Back
Top