• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Random question of the day!!!

G

glitter_wench

Hey Gordon and Pars,

This is totally random and quite silly really, but seeing the weight loss thread there made me remember it. A couple of years ago a girl i worked with at the time had all her wisdom teeth out in the one go ( Way braver than me i'll tell you that bless her socks). Prior to this, she had SUCH a sweet tooth. We are talking chocolate, biscuits but in particular sweets, particuarily those percy pigs from M&S (personally i prefer the cola cow ones but there you go ;) ). She would eat a bag of those a day. After the op she totally lost her desire for sweet stuff. She (maybe literally) had lost her sweet tooth. It wasn't that her dentist had lectured her or that it was painful to eat them she just didn't want them any more and 2 years later she still doesn't.
So my question is is there a dental reason behind this or was it some odd psychological thing? Again apologies for the daftness but enquiring minds want to know. :devilish:

Hmmm..I certainly haven't lost My Sweet Tooth. Perhaps she lost it out of fear? If we are supposed to have a sweet tooth in our mouth, mine seems to be still there. :) I had all my wisdom teeth out when I was a kid, but it didn't provide me with any "Wisdom". lol.

hugmedan said:
Hmmm..I certainly haven't lost My Sweet Tooth. Perhaps she lost it out of fear? If we are supposed to have a sweet tooth in our mouth, mine seems to be still there. :) I had all my wisdom teeth out when I was a kid, but it didn't provide me with any "Wisdom". lol.

Heh ;D

No definately not the fear factor. That was my theory being the phobic and she said no as she is well used to the dentist and goes for a check up every six months . In fact she could ot understand why i was scared. She had also had previous extractions when she was a kid of "eye" teeth so she could get braces.

Maybe she subconsciously resolved post-op never to eat anything that had a face? ;D

- not counting potatoes obviously - although they often have wee 'eyes' it is true...

Did she have GA or sedation d'ye know? Not that it makes much difference, I honestly have no idea. But then I'm having a rather 'clueless' day anyhow. :confused: I can just imagine the dentist saying "Now, while each wisdom tooth is removed you will already find your desire for M&S Percy Pigs is fading.... 3,2,1 You're back in the room..."

Pars :)

LOL! ;D Too funny! :respect:

I have totally lost my sweet tooth forever because the sweets hurt my cavities and I am afraid of it causing more holes and having to lose any more teeth.. once you lose one of your preciouses you will deff regret eating sweets and sugary foods and soda . I wish I could go back in time and never have eatan candy or soda it was a mistake. Stay away from the yummys.............................. and dont forget to brush and floss and rinse and get check up

Back